Saturday, November 17, 2007

THE PAIN OF BEING US

This week wears on me. I am fine. The burden others carry weighs heavily in my heart. I've heard of one inter-church separation after another. The parting of ways may be, realistically, a good move (and maybe a God-move) for both sides. The pained hearts of aftermath breaks mine.

Will we ever learn we (individually and personally) are too foolish to have much complaint? The line is so fine each of us is vulnerable in possibly disobeying God's command. I'm very likely to complain about those who complain. Yet James wrote, Do not complain, brethren, against one another, that you yourselves may not be judged; behold, the Judge is standing right at the door. As an example, brethren, of suffering and patience, take the prophets who spoke in the name of the Lord. Behold, we count those blessed who endured. You have heard of the endurance of Job and have seen the outcome of the Lord's dealings, that the Lord is full of compassion and is merciful.

We can afford to be patient with one another because of two things: (1) We have no idea how patient God is with us, and (2) we have no idea how patient others are with us. Paul voiced he was chiefest of sinners because he was actually that. Does it occur to you that you are actually the chiefest; as well as myself? If all we sub-class chiefs realized our sinful condition wrought with repulsive failure, maybe we'd humbly submit to the only one real Chief and the rest of us would be transformed into the intended kingdom Indians.

We talk big. But, we are little. We try to walk tall. Yet, we are fall short. We believe ourselves to be right. However, our fundamental call is to seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, because our (self)righteousness is putrid and stenchy. I am convinced none of us whether it be President or Preacher, Congressman or Courier, CEO or ADD....none of us fare well when lined up with the Living God. We simply fold as did Isaiah when he saw the throne and could not wait to spill his guts as to his sickening state.

We are like one birthday candle trying to show off in front of the Sun. As loudly as we try to convince ourselves it is we who are quite bright, it ain't gonna happen! May we each find room to accept our deep lack. May we follow up such awareness with genuine worship of the One Who Is All. All of Him. None of me.....we once sang.

3 comments:

Stoogelover said...

I've been praying for you, my friend.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the wonderful encouragement today. I know I am the "chief of sinners" but I still like to ignore it. Brother, your spirit.......God's spirit... fills the weakness of many hearts. PREACH ON BROTHER.... to His glory!

Eddie

Anonymous said...

Terry: I have been catching up on reading your blog following a very busy November. I have read about the "workshop" announcement and the responses. Along with today's blog, let me add this about churches and where Garnett is today. "There Is Pain in being Us" so to speak. We are venturing into unchartered and uncertain waters. We are questioning the old "vision" of mega church, and finding out that there may be a better way to be Jesus to the world. I find myself in a new paradigm where "Church of Christ" as we know it doesn't seem to fit anymore. "Unchurch of Christ" seems to fit better and seems to fit better with the vision of the original "Jesus" movement. With sentiment, I miss the Old days and the old ways, yet with courage and strenth of spirit I see God working in new ways that I cannot dismiss. I acknowledge that our leadership has weaknesses, but as Paul empasized in 2 Cor 9:12, God's grace is found in weakness. I feel his hand in this transistion and hope others will pray for Garnett. In Him, Lynn