Wednesday, May 30, 2007

JUMP-START YOUR LIFE

Mrs. Stark was our high school counselor. She was an old (probably 48) fastidious old lady who wore old-timey clunker shoes with holes in the toes and walked....well....old. All of us knew she didn't know what she was talking about; yet, we students gave her sporadic attention to let her keep thinking she was working. She called me into her office for a scheduled appointment in my junior year in high school to decide what I wanted to be.

I want to play ball for the St. Louis Cardinals. Well, she didn't rightly know how to arrange that one. Of course she didn't. She was old, wore old shoes, and walked old. Well, then I want to be a stand-up comedian. You guessed it. She didn't know how to do that one either. 0 for 2. She's about to strike out. We finally opted to send me to a business college down the road so that one day I could become a whiz of a CEO or something....she said. I didn't catch it all exactly.

Today I fly to Chicago to speak at a high school graduation for 400 seniors in DeKalb. I can't wait to get there. I will flash my St. Louis Cardinal bubble gum card and tell several funny stories (with great points of course) as a stand-up comedian.

What will they be when they grow up? Isn't it fascinating that in reality they haven't a clue. God's world whirls in too many unsuspected gyrations. Some will land precisely where they had dreamed, of course. Others will fly higher than they'd ever anticipate.

My word to you today? Regardless of age, graduate with a head full of dreams and a heart full of determination. Break the imprisonment of your own rut. Risk. Jump. Sail. Life is for living; not for preserving. If you'll dare break out....you may have set the stage (finally) for God to break in. Many readers may not have needed this today. However, I sense in my spirit someone really did.

Jump!

6 comments:

cwinwc said...

We can all graduate in this life at any time. It might be a graduation from addiction or legalism. They all have one thing in common that you mentioned, only God knows the outcome and he will be with us on the journey.

"Break a leg" at the graduation speech brother.

Anonymous said...

Terry, I still display your sports card. Mike Cope & I were working together on a wedding years ago when he saw your card in my office. I told him it was from your fantasy camp exploits. He said, "I didn't know Rush was an athlete." I said, "Mike, that's why they call it a fantasy camp!"

Thanks for the continued encouragement to live for Jesus. You'll do well with your speech - you always do. I love you.

Anonymous said...

how exciting to have YOU as a graduation speaker. They will never be the same, as they are expecting the high school counselor type to show up!!
You do great.
Love you today,
Billye

Stoogelover said...

Of course you're an athlete ... I've seen you golf!

preacherman said...

Terry,
Great post brother!
Amen.

Liz Moore said...

Terry,

Thanks, I did need that today. We tend to get so caught up in what we think we "need" to do, that we sometimes forget to just let go and let God. As you so often say, He is so much bigger than I am. I just need to remember that.

May God bless you in your speech. I know you will bless everyone who hears you. Their lives will be forever changed as you point them to the only one who has all the answers. They will leave that place on fire and headed for greatness! Love ya!