Monday, May 28, 2007

CHURCH ENERGY

I so enjoy Memorial Drive. The flock is full of talent, faith, and devotion. We don't have anyone that isn't profoundly important. We work as a unit or else we don't work well. While there are several tangible, reportable ministries going on, it has the be the presence of the Holy Spirit which keeps such energy alive.

We pray for God to attend our assemblies. We anticipate Him being here. We walk away Sunday after Sunday giddy at His activity among and within us. It doesn't matter who preaches. It just doesn't. Our focus is pregnant with expectation God will move through someone(s). We don't have to beg or press. He shows up all the time.

We talk about Him. We look for Him. We must have Him. We don't know how or why so many things work so fascinatingly well. We can't grasp God's wisdom. He just keeps pouring over us and into us and out of us.

Briley Davis fell this week and shattered her leg. The wife---a first time visitor---of the sweet couple came up to me afterwards and handed me money "for the broken leg lady". They didn't know her and needed a collection themselves...but the spirit of generosity keeps showing up in members and strangers.

Yesterday we put some hardback sport books on sale as a fundraiser for Kyle Holcomb who is headed for Scotland in the AIM program. I told the church the books were $3 each with a ceiling of $300. I was only joking about the latter. One lady bought a book for $203! We collected over $500 for the Davis' and over $740 for Kyle.

Yesterday we experienced God is so many ways. We are certain we are nothing. We are more certain He can give life to dead settings and call things into being which do not exist...Rom. 4:17.

I cheer you on......turn your lousy and anemic efforts over to God. He'll make barrels of lemonade from them! We like church energy. Church energy is Holy Spirit power.

4 comments:

Kari said...

Terry! I live in Edmond right now, but when I come to Tulsa to visit my family I can't WAIT to come visit Memorial Drive because of this very same thing. I LOVE it! I can totally tell God is there when we worship, and when we gather. It's wonderful!

cwinwc said...

Now that's my kind of church. When the Holy Spirit moves through the lives of people that allow Him that movement it is amazing what can happen.

Jim Martin said...

Terry,
Just reading this post is re-energizing!

Thanks.

preacherman said...

Terry,
I believe the energy that the Church or drives the Church is the Holy Spirit. We must keep in Spirit. Worship in the Spirit. Acknowledge the Spirit. Use the gifts of the Spirit. Anoint Christians with the power of the Holy Spirit. A Church that is in tune with the spirit will be full of energy and life. It is a church that doesn't put God or His son in a box. It's members understand that the Christian life is about community and discipleship and hunger after Jesus Christ. Desire it more than anything. It is a church that isn't I driven but Christ and Spirit driven. Leader seeking to do the will of God before making big discissions. Fasting, Prayering, meditating. Terry, my prayer is that every Church of Christ will become this kind of Church.