Tuesday, April 24, 2007

TOO MUCH FOR TOO LITTLE

There's too much big activity available for such little people! How can we possibly take it all in? In fact, we can't. The abundant life Jesus provides is to give us life; not a death sentence. Bus(y)ness as usual is my guess as to the number one undetected downfall of the American family. In trying to be a little bit of everything, individuals are poised to be enthralled about nothing. Eventually, frustration rises and motivation declines as one grows to understand the sheer inability to live a nine day week in seven days.

Mary and I sat our three little ones down when they got school age and said, Now look, kids, you outnumber your momma and me. We are not going to have a family waving at each other as we each pass the other shuttling you to various practices, concerts, games, leagues, and banquets. We wanted the kids to be involved in all they could only with the limitations of what was good for them emotionally. Other than church and school-as-usual, they could each elect one extra-curricular venture at a time. Wendy could not be in girl scouts and gymnastics at the same time. If not careful, parents will over extend their own children as the kids don't know how to say no to so many fun opportunities.

I find little changes for adults live in the same over-extended culture. Finances surely bear such stark statistical brunt. And, some adult schedules are nearly on the brink of insanity. On my desk at this moment are the following:
  • An invitation to a pastoral lunch Thursday.
  • A note from a group wanting me to look at a segment of work in India.
  • A request for attention and assistance from a global missions effort in New Mexico.
  • A video to be watched regarding disaster relief.
  • A letter from Florida requesting funds for a campus minister trainee.
  • A letter from Tennessee requesting funds for Russian and Chinese ministries.
  • A DVD to review regarding the Cambodian church.
  • Numerous phone calls to return; as well as emails awaiting response.

The number of requests which hit file 13 far outnumber the above list. Note little of the above is in the zone of my local work....which is awaiting. I'm delighted...really....to know of God working in so many areas. He surely has a lot going! I can't possibly satisfy such calling works. And, I won't. God will get it done and some of it will have my participation. But, not nearly all.

Therefore, I write to encourage you to keep your ministry and your life simple. Just as children don't have the ability to join every gym class, volleyball team, choir at school as well as at church, youth group, girl scouts, boy scouts, etc., adults can't hold up under similar pressure. It could cause massive cave-in. A special word to parents......your children are needing your focus. Be wise regarding your extra-curricular for now. Soon the kids will be gone. They need you today.

Do a few things well. Don't try to do several things mediocrely. Do a few things well. Don't live pressured by those who feel you should be supportive of "their" particular interests. The body of Christ is designed to work as a healthy body. Yes, their are the lazy and shiftless ones. But, I address them not. I'm speaking to hard workers who have a conscientious drive to see that much good gets done on their watch. It will take concentrated discipline to avail yourself wisely to the work of a mighty God.

In the scheme of things you are a tiny little shell on a big planet. So what shall we do? Learn to let your "Yes" be "Yes" and your "No" be "No". Don't say yes to an opportunity when your spirit is coaxing for a "No". God's body (all of His many joints and ligaments) will serve the world effectively. Use what He has given you to participate in such a thrill without losing sight that you are a small part of a big work! Romans 9:16, once again, comes into play. It is not up to man who wills, nor man who runs, but up to God who has mercy. Ministering leaves the driving up to God, the saving up to God, the effectiveness up to God.

Serve well, but don't overextend in the name of commitment. Such may not be commitment but simply a character flaw of failing to be committed to Him instead of our own popularity in the eyes of men as to how involved in the church we are.

8 comments:

Brenda said...

I love this! Yes...so many times I see families coming and going and never have that special time they need to connect. We too only allow our children in one activity at a time. And we also choose one activity for ourselves so that we can have a little sanity.

I couldn't help but look at the things you listed and wonder how many people there are in the world that NEVER get an invitation like that. Some even within our own congregations will never have opportunities to speak at conferences or go on mission trips or do anything outside the rhelm of their everyday life activities. What an honor it is to be asked and be able to say 'no' or 'yes' is just an honor in itself.
I've seen some lonely individuals in church because there was 'too little' and not 'too much' where they could find their place. I'm sure we can say it's a choice in Kindgom work and you have to want it and put yourself out there. Some people just haven't found a way to do that yet. I'm encouraged when they do. It excites me to see them grow...even with a little too much of work for the Father.

Anonymous said...

Incredible post. Thank you.

Liz Moore said...

Great words to live by. Thanks again for your encouragement!

Terry Rush said...

Brenda brings up a powerful observation, "I've seen some lonely individuals in church because there was 'too little' and not 'too much' where they could find their place."

I've noted the same over the years. One of the things I've seen cure this situation is for those who have "too much" to let go of some things so that those who have "too little" could find themselves needed. Often I have to encourage the workers who feel burdened to let go and trust God. Others can do the job...maybe not as well and maybe even better...but they can do the job.

If more would release control, others would find their place? Possibly.

Brenda said...

We never know what God may have in store for us or the others around us if we don't step out of the way and let God lead someone else to the path.

I can say so many times I have said I won't do something because someone else is leading that ministry.
"I'm not needed" I think are the words I used. However, I have an EXTREME passion to serve in certain areas but I am directed elsewhere, because it's been done by someone else for so many years.

Would I be good at it? Maybe...or maybe not. I find the things I'm passionate about for the Lord, I give my whole heart to and I allow Him to work through me. If I fail at it, Great! It was God's way of showing me that my gifts and talents are needed in a different area. If I succeed, Great! It's God's way of showing me that He has enabled me to do good works for Him and bring others along for the ride as well. Sharing in the minstry is what Kingdom work is all about.

I find it an extreme spritual high to do something so glorifying for the Lord and fail or succeed.
Either way...He called me to have passion for an area where I can truly serve Him. Finding my place is the key to my success and failures.

Stoogelover said...

This same phenomenon can happen with church ministries and programs. Several years ago we stopped all of our programs. It was just maddening. Seems we were so proud of ministry fairs in which we could parade everything we were doing ... and little of it being done well. Today we have far less ministries, but they are very effective and they are focused entirely on the ministries we see in Christ. They are all about being Christ to others.

I think you are very wise in this except when I've called on you and been rejected!! :)

Terry Rush said...

Greg hits an interesting closing remark. When Max Lucado returned from Brazil to the states we talked on the phone. He asked the one thing I would recommend for his new stateside work.

I said, "Learn to say no to the brotherhood."

I still can't get him to accept invitations to speak at events I work on. I'm such a good advisor, I guess!

Donna G said...

Great words of wisdom. I often have trouble knowing when to say "when". and end up just saying "whew!"