Saturday, January 13, 2007

WHAT'S YOUR THEOLOGICAL POSITION?

How is a plain person supposed to fit into this church stuff? Listen to us. Deep need to express opinions find instant opposition, but no one individual seems to have most issues right. True, many believe our own stances to be of the One True Way, but even a child can step back and see each one of us has a common glaring lack about something...about many things.

How many find themselves firmly committed to a thriving ministry only to have onlookers see a spiritual, even critical, smugness has equally developed? How stable is our stance to reach the world with the Good News only to find some aren't feeling so good about the church? How many parents are devoted to seeing their children "raised in the church" to build a dynamic faith only to jerk the rug from them when their developed faith makes the parent fearful?

I find myself tossed to and fro due to my own misaligned systems of faith and effort. My stances keep unravelling, but my desire to build kingdom muscle continues to thrive! What's a plain person to do in determining his/her faith position?

Isaiah gives us a pretty good frame of reference: undone and in awe. Famous and inspiring chapter 6 shows this great prophet ruined into glory....his theological position was he had become so aware of his complete uselessness that his God seemed breath-takingly glorious! That's me!

That's my position!

I'm not and He is I Am!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love it. Remind me of this when I get a little theologically proud of myself.

Anonymous said...

The older I get, the more liberal I get. The older I get, the more I realize just how silly a lot of our "church stuff" is. God must have a little smile on His face as He looks at us and how serious we seem over little things. I just hope He is smiling and not frowning!

I have stopped defending our heritage and tradition from a biblical perspective and now simply say that I remain here as my personal choice.

A lost and hurting world is seeking Christ and doesn't care about our traditions and why only we have the truth. I am coming to believe that Christ doesn't care about them either.

Anonymous said...

We're all only moments away from unveiling our 3 year old nature that wants to think things are going according to plan but really aren't that good at many things other than crying out for cereal bars and more milk/juice/and blankees.

When the day's over - we just don't know what the stink we're doing. ... the day's not over yet, so I still have a chance of figuring something out.

I Cor. 11:1 - good post - it helps me stay sober and realize how smug I am in my efforts to feel validated at times.

Anonymous said...

He is Everything, I am nothing. That's the only position to have. Thanks for the reminder.