Tuesday, January 09, 2007

WHAT? NO McGWIRE?

Baseball's Hall of Fame voted in Cal Ripken Jr. and Tony Gwynn. Mark McGwire didn't make the cut. I feel sympathic toward him, not because I'm a Cardinal fan but, because I am a Mark McGwire fan. I like him. He is a normal person comprised of the same confidences and insecurities many of us hold.

If the voters are right and he should not be in the hall, that's the way it goes. But, I draw your attention that while millions, literally, view this public rejection as the news flashes across tv screens in thousands of bars, airport terminals, and in homes, there is a valuable and lonely individual who feels the rejection.

I know full-well this is a touchy subject. My point is this: how touchy of a subject do you think it is that God elects us to the Halls of Heaven? I think it scandalous! Yet, we seem to be accepted. I think I am a most fortunate man! How about you?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So many times I don't feel worthy of being one that is selected...Yet...He voted for me and that's what counts. I'm happy it counts and that even in the selection process, He is very forgiving. I am happy to be a part of his Hall! I feel very lucky!

Jeanne said...

It's amazing to me how God sees us. I want to see others and myself through His eyes. There was a time when I really didn't get what it was "to be lost". I had gone to church and been a "good girl" all my life and I just didn't feel all that lost. I had never not known God. When I finally got it I was so broken and for the first time really understood God and Jesus in a whole new way. I've never been the same since! Thank God, I've never been the same since!!

Anonymous said...

I feel so grateful and so blessed that He chose me! I am so unworthy on my own.

David U said...

I am a HUGE Cardinal fan, and also a McGwire fan.......but I didn't have any problem with them leaving him off. I don't doubt he feels the rejection, but he also knows why it's there. If they eventually add him, I will be fine with that. If they don't, I won't be shedding any tears. How many HRs would Willie Mays have hit if he had taken enhancing drugs? We'll never know. We'll also never know how many McGwire would have hit if he hadn't taken them.

I honor your perspective, and your caring for a wounded Cardinal.

DU