Thursday, June 18, 2015

HOW TO LIVE AN AUTHENTIC UPBEAT LIFE

Today is my 68th birthday!  Therefore, I'll need to type rather quickly or else I might lose interest and dose off.

Years ago God changed my world.  He transformed it, remodeled it, and still supplies it.  One of His greatest impacts upon me is when I began to absorb Philippians 4:4-9.

My earlier years were filled with two main threads; excitement and depression. Although wide-eyed about life, I found much discouragement.  Bummer days seemed to come from two main sources; what others said to me that were negative and then what I said to myself that was equally pessimistic.

It's weird really.  We do not like others criticizing us; but we seem to have a heyday at chastising ourselves for our failures.

Finding God entailed much, much more than going to church, participating in church, and eventually engaging in the leadership of the church.  He taught me the way of escape from depression that harangued me day and night.

That Philippians passage calls for us to make a significantly major change; the direction upon which we choose to concentrate.  Think on these things we are told. This was my downfall.

Blame for others.  Disappointment in others.  Frustration with my own inadequacy. These three and a multitude of others were pulling me under.  My mind needed a kick-start in the direction and the Bible gave it to me.  An authentic upbeat life comes about; not by getting the good breaks but by thinking favorable thoughts.

Yes, it is that simple.  And the passage promises that the peace of God which surpasses understanding shall guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.  

An upbeat life is not about others getting open doors while we drew the short straws. No.  Such a life is base on no one else and no circumstance.  It is based upon how we think.  Do we think about the good, the excellent, the lovely?  Are we filling our minds with the people who support us or those who discourage us?

The good news about all of this is we have a choice.  Romans 5:1-5 might encourage you...about you, your days, your colleagues, and your opportunities.

Knowing God makes a difference because He reprograms us to think in entirely different ways.  Should you be having a frustrating time in your life, I speak with complete sympathy.  Be definitely encouraged.  Life changes when we change our thinking.

As a side note, you might find Ryan Holiday's The Obstacle is the Way to be very valuable in gaining momentum in this powerful and transforming zone.

No comments: