Wednesday, May 13, 2015

NOT TO THINK TOO HIGHLY OF OURSELVES

For through the grace given to me I say to everyone among you not to think more highly of himself than he ought to think; but to think so as to have sound judgment, as God has allotted to each a measure of faith (Romans 12:3).

Ummm.  Would anyone need this other than me?  I mean, isn't it almost natural to consider me first?  Oh sure, I know God's druthers.  Yet realistically, I weigh very much of my day by positioning how each adventure affects....you are right...me.

I would want to encourage us to abide by Paul's admonition. When we live in perpetual self-promotion, we live in blurred judgment.  Our lives are affected by and hinged upon ...inaccuracies.  High-minded assumption blocks the grace God provides for all of us who have bigger work to do than we can accomplish.

While we are not to think too highly of ourselves, we just can't help it (it seems) because....well....we are just so right in our assessment.  Not.

The longer we live, the more we experience, the surer we become that we don't know as much as we had assumed.  This is a good thing.  The sooner we realize it, the sooner the world will be blessed by Him for we will finally begin to get out of the way.

Forgive me when I seem to get in the way of what God would like to get done.

DISCLAIMER: I have tried five times to post this to FB.  Each time the title including "too" comes out "to".  Five times!  Fine.  If it doesn't want to spell "too" correctly...so be it!  Now...if I hit send for the sixth time and it spells "too" correctly in the title....I'm confused.

No comments: