Wednesday, October 29, 2014

DISCOVERING THE UNLIVED PARTS

Sue Monk Kidd has become a new author-hero.  In one book from the very beginning, I became a fan.  Consider the very first page of chapter One of her book When the Heart Waits:

For some months I had been lost in a baffling crisis of spirit.  Back in the autumn I had awakened to a growing darkness and cacophony, as if something in my depths were crying out.  A whole chorus of voices.  Orphaned voices.  They seemed to speak for all the unlived parts of me, and they came with a force and dazzle that I couldn't contain. They seemed to explode the boundaries of my existence.  I know now that they were the clamor of a new self struggling to be born.

I contend that as long as we live upon earth we experience a call to enter the unlived parts.  This is exciting and certainly challenging.  At no time do we reach our limit unless by voluntarily surrendering the privilege.

It was in his 80s when Colonel Sanders struck out with a wild idea of a chicken franchise.  So why not us?  Why not awaken to the wonder planted by God within ourselves?  Even the word retirement could be noted as completely one task in order to have time to focus upon another.

I believe we routinely experience unlived parts.  Our God is jamb-packed creative.  He can't seem to stop.  Look at the trail of new inventions, new ideas, new discoveries. This thread has not weakened with time; but it has grown exponentially.  This indicates the backing of a living God.

I urge you to be attentive to the unlived parts within you.  Awaken to perpetual wonder.  Take a cooking class, start writing notes to the discouraged, expand your horizons, or volunteer to assist someone who serves the community.  Go crazy living the unlived parts of your unique and energetic world.

The negative voices around us which seem to assure us we can't only have power as long as we give them permission.  When I wanted to preach, no one encouraged me other than the man and woman who converted me.  All others told me I didn't want to really do that.  I understood why; but they didn't possess the dream in my unlived parts.

You've got them.  A trip out of state.  An investment.  A reconnection.  A project.  A wish.  You have unlived parts.  We all do.  Whadya say we ponder living some of them?


No comments: