Friday, August 29, 2014

CURT FLOOD, FERGUSON MO, AND AMERICA'S NEED FOR HARMONY

A two-edged sword of race and religion is slicing America into a wounded nation. Strangely both may wound or both may heal.  Individuals decide; and decide we do. As a white minister, I would be one who has emotional ties to the sword.  Please endure my fumbling as I try to say something useful.

African-American Curt Flood began as a childhood hero to me as he roamed spacious center field at Busch Stadium in St. Louis.  Oh, as a Little Leaguer I did my best to copy both his batting and fielding styles.

Later, with my idea of a ministry through the Cardinals Legends Camps, I was not disappointed in meeting Curt.  We became very close friends to the extent that his mother and his five brothers and sisters adopted me into their family.  Curt's note of Thanks for being so sweet to our mom is among my most treasured memorabilia.

Once Curt taunted me for our mother had moved her first six kid's pictures from beside her bed-stand and across the room atop a cabinet.  My picture was now near her clock and pillow.  Yay me!  Upon a visit to see our mom, I indeed saw the rearrangement of our pictures.  Yay me a second time!

Eventually, I was called by one of my new sisters stating that Momma had passed, could I come.  I flew to Oakland to celebrate her life, speak at her funeral, and be, as she had told me as she hugged me great big, Oh, my little white boy!  I always wanted a little white boy!  And then she slapped her knee with great laughter.  Only a few short years later I was called by Curt's wife to participate in his funeral in LA.

Curt Flood was highly concerned about racial abuse and conflict.  With me being white, this man spoke in terms of which were a foreign language to me.  What sealed our hearts was my inquiry about his perspective of slaves being freed because I was going through a religion which was trying to experience freedom from its own bondage.

Curt was impressive as he spoke with that smoky voice tender-in-heart about matters of which I knew nothing.  He shared how one year during Spring Training in Florida that he and Bob Gibson were invited by Cassius Clay to a Black Panther meeting. Curt and Bob ultimately rejected the idea.  Both shared with me that they rejected the group's thoughts because it was just White Power in reverse.  Clay went on to become Mohamed Ali.

Curt made a point one morning, as we flew from Florida camp back to Atlanta so each could catch a continuing flight, how the African-American race struggles because the men aren't home.  The dads are incarcerated; thousands and thousands and more thousands.  The women are left, in huge percentage, to be both parents.

I had not ever given this a thought.  If you have never visited a state penitentiary, doing so might take your breath away.  A massive amount, as well as a disproportionate percentage of blacks inhabit walls of iron bars, open toilets, and razor wire.  In my few times inside, it makes my heart sick every time.  The scene doesn't strike me that they don't deserve to be there.  Rather, it verifies Curt's comment that the bulk of these were raised by a Momma whose husband was also incarcerated.

Curt taught me that races are different in positive ways.  It is not the black man's wish that we all be regarded as a colorless human race.  These want to be noted as who they are; black.  They are rightfully proud of their heritage.  We Whites insult them by trying to deny their racial attributes and contributions to our social strengths.

Both racial issues and religious disciplines could heal America.  They should heal America.  In places, though, each polarizes.  Such division is both deep and wide. Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton are the gasoline and the match to our racial challenges; simply my opinion.  Many television evangelists have the same stroke of alienation power.  Their seeming undevotion to the Spirit of Jesus coupled with a hammering message of send in your money is equally polarizing.

Ferguson, Missouri has been our latest scene.  Was the slain black man a victim? Was the white officer a bully?  Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton continue their White Power in Reverse as they seem to live for a moment before a camera.  All the while, humble black citizens of Ferguson give us insight through their interviews of a much more civil, even holy, spirit.

America is in deep need of harmony; a commonality that only God can provide.  Both race and religion can contribute a deeply needed, as well as important, hope.  All sides must arrest our reflex bias.  All sides should note that we can be easily swayed by prejudice without even a bit of investigation.

The African-American communities (not all; but very many) are hurting as they have never recovered from the inherited slave-tones of the Civil War.  Much of this is not their fault.  Viewed as an inferior sort by a significant number of white egotists causes perpetual inflamation.  If not smug, we whites can at least be indifferent to this sentiment.  Yet, we don't live in their shoes.  We have never experienced a steady diet of condescending and abusive comment.

The African-American section are to be inspired by the millions of their own who have succeeded.  Some have had to endure extreme hardship...and succeeded.  So have many of the poor whites applied themselves to become productive rather than being submerged into a lazy white-trash iconic lifestyle.

The hope is found in the harmony which Jesus would offer.  He would die for the very ones who lived to put him away.  He loved them.  We don't have the capacity for such a top-level range of healing love....on our own.  Yet, it is this very reason the Holy Spirit resides in us; that He bear His kind of fruit of love, joy, peace, patience, etc.

We can do this.  We of differing color and we of devotion to the spiritual can bridge gaps.  We can; not they can or they should.  We can listen to each other as all can listen to God.  He understands the depth of suffering like none of us do.  He knows creative power as He invented it.

Curt Flood, Ferguson, MO. and America's need for harmony contribute for an awakening of the spirit of each of us.  These matters matter.  We can march and protest with prayer, faith, love for all neighbors, and a gigantic belief that is as certain that God parted the Red Sea giving His people today an access to a brand new kind of hope.  It is true, God can part the great seas of divisions and pull us together as one nation as brothers/sisters/believers.

The challenge is too big for us.  Maybe we should put away the television cameras which negatively stir both race and religion.  Maybe we should consider those who have suffered in territories we know little about.  Maybe we can draw in heart to each other because we first draw to the heart of God.

I have fumbled so badly in writing this post that I have stalled for hours before hitting the publish button.  Forgive me if my loving attempt is marred by a mistaken or ignorant comment.  Hopefully, there will be some portion of this that would open your hearts and minds just a bit toward the possibility of reaching across polarizing lines which stir division.  Go for it.



No comments: