Saturday, June 14, 2014

IWTBIDWT SYNDROME

You know, I think that sometimes it just isn't very easy to be a human.  We are a mixture of love and bias, wishes and fears, and then there's that insecure part that seems to chip away at even our best moments.  It isn't easy being us.

It would seem that most often we compensate our failing moments with blame.  She didn't treat me right.  He didn't even speak.  The door was left open.  Taxes are too high.  Oh, we have our lists of excuses ready to cover our inadequacies.

One of the greatest disasters to self is the personal backing down just as we are about to make a breakthrough.  Sometimes it isn't easy to step into effectiveness or success.  We find ourselves, at times, betrayed by our own fears.  This is what I would call the IWTBIDWT syndrome.

I Want To But I Don't Want To.

I do; but I don't.  Yes; but no.  Sure; yet not that sure.  Most likely; but probably not. Decisive; yet, with a tad bit of questioning.  Ready; but not so fast.  Absolutely will; most likely.

A study of caterpillars shows that some of them resist becoming butterflies by clinging longer than necessary to their larvae life. Some will put off their transformation for a year or more.  Sue Monk Kidd says of this, It seems that at the moment of our greatest possibility, a desperate clinging rises up in us.  We make valiant attempts to "save" our old life.

IWTBIDWT.

This syndrome show up routinely.  Making big decisions which seem to be properly enticing can be abruptly halted by the IWTBIDWT complex.  We want to leave our old life for the glory of the new; but what if?  I want to sign my commitment on the dotted line....but I just can't.  I want to take such a needed course; but I also don't want to.  I want to fast and pray; but I don't want to go without food.

Our own reluctance does more damage than any other enemy we could target for causes of failure.  Life isn't meant to be rattlingly empty.  It is to be charged with creativity from God.  Of course it will take our breath away; that's what roller coasters and the Grand Canyon do.

One of the highest hurdles for me to clear was this one; IWTBIDWT.  Sometimes we have to take a deep breath and take the plunge.  Not everything we attempt pans out. What I believe is worse than things not panning out is to see breath-taking opportunity and not even try.

Don't let fear manipulate your present moment.  Give God room to exercise in your gym of conditioning.  You'll go farther, last longer, and be exceptionally happier.

No comments: