Friday, May 30, 2014

THE KINGDOM LIFE ISN'T ONE OF EASY STREET

Living in the kingdom of God is exhilarating, challenging, and often quite confusing. The old-school days of my legalistic system where I believed things were black and white are fading.  While I'm sure some (even reading this post possibly) have developed simple and conclusive standards, I no longer see everything as ABC-istic.

One matter that is tearing at my heart these days is the same-sex attraction group. There are verses that clearly say that this trait is sin.  What is showing up, however, is that I am finding those in such a relationship that I really love.  Until I actually knew and then loved them, I had quick and easy answers.

To complicate matters, I watch Jesus maneuver through burgs and countryside reaching to society at the very places organized religion would consistently reject.  Not one time did he condone sin. Not one time, too, did he fail to rescue the ultra-hopeless.

So where do we act?  Clear statements in the Bible condemn the gay behavior.  It isn't vague.  Yet the religious are clearly and equally condemned for holding closer to their doctrines than to the sinners who need his abiding love.

You may have this all sorted out; but I admittedly don't.

My strong concern is that the straight church has too easily dismissed these dear and precious ones since we have no temptation to sin in that area.  To view their sin as greater than ours is absurd and...sinful.  "We" are devastated by "our" particular sins. Yet, I believe in general, we have easily walked on the other side of the street without engaging or loving this special group.

To dearly love these, however, is not leading me to conclude that this sin is not sin. It clearly is.  My quandary is that I find myself fiercely inadequate.  Maybe I will learn as I continue to have dialog with these I newly love or with you who have hearts of intense compassion.

I don't want to get this wrong.  Furthermore, I so want to get this right that I feel that if the church can approach this well, we will be blessed by a huge populace that also needs to the healing love of God.  I've read.  I've prayed.  I've discussed.  And I've reached.

To this point hate the sin and dearly, dearly love the sinner is the holy trek.  Some, possibly many, can view this issue with a shrug.  Too, I feel certain my immaturity and weakness is terribly exposed in this post.  But I'm coming out of cowering behind careful ministry which may be found more neglectful than careful.

What God thinks is not a hint.  It is supreme.

I want to help these know Him.  My criticism of them doesn't feel right.  My love, as if the sin doesn't matter, is equally mistaken.

What thinketh ye?

For me the proverbial "cut and dried" views pale beside the need to care.  How can we effectively reach to a very dear and valuable segment of our community that has been to easily disregarded; even ignored?  I am terribly torn and burdened for I desire to do this as Jesus would have it.

Honestly?  I'm fearful to hit "post".  But, I shall because I am terribly burdened for a segment of our society I have so easily dismissed in the past.  Maybe you can shed helpful light.  Certainly, the kingdom life isn't one of easy street as I had surmised in my earlier days.




No comments: