Wednesday, May 15, 2013

WHAT MAKES US WHO WE ARE?

Fortunately, most of my acquaintances have something in common; ambition.  I don't seem to associate with those who don't.  I like to hang with those of drive and determination.  Truthfully, I had in mind when in high school that I wanted to grow up to be somebody.

I thought influence and prestige made us who we are and I wanted to be at a high level.  I didn't need to be President, understand, or to own my own company.  But I did want to be important.  I wanted to be big.

But life doesn't work that way.  Yes, a few get to be important in a big sort of way.  I still admire them; those who work in special ways or have degrees (I have none), etc.  But life doesn't work for all of us on the Big-Deal plane.

This is one factor that enamors me with the Kingdom.  Weakness is central.  I have much centrality to offer.  Really, I think God uses me as an example of not much to inspire the rest of the many not muchers who feel stranded and hopeless.

What makes us who we are?  It isn't a what.  It is a person.  Jesus is the who makes us who we are.  He isn't a Sunday School icon.  He is our reality.  We are highly acceptable because Brother makes us somebody; even in our nobodyness.

Jesus is the best news for all of us wimps and fools.  He empowers us with God's Holy Spirit because we can't make life click otherwise. He moves us from frustrated helplessnesses to satisfied hopefuls.

Jesus makes us who we are; powerful, influential, and effective.  Don't ever take credit for accomplishing anything because we who are buried in him don't...on our own.  He alone is the accomplisher.  He has simply rented out our carcasses so that he can work from our shop.

Be a builder! Rent out well!  Jesus alone makes us who we are!

No comments: