Thursday, May 02, 2013

TRUTH: WHEN TO STAND UP AND WHEN TO STEP BACK

Does anyone else think it's weird being us? 

There are oh so many challenges to faith.  Every time we think we have a divisive matter solved another breaks out.  What's with that?  At one time the issue was whether women could wear pantsuits to church and now it is whether they can pass communion trays while standing.

I don't mean to mock.  I am simply repeating actual rules which have been and are being discussed. 

James W. McCarty III recently posted a blog, One Voice for Change is for our Daughters (And Our Sons) http://jamesmccarty.wordpress.com/2013/04/30/one-voice-for-change-is-for-our-daughters-and-our-sons/I read it with almost polar assimilation; could be true and maybe not. 

I speak only as a weathered man among a starry host of authentic and maturing believers.  How do we do change?  How do we determine if such is a call from God or a whim of irritation from men like me who has a pulpit?

In Mr. McCarty's case, the challenge for me is his The time is now calling.  Is it?  How does he determine this?  Me?  I think he may be correct or he may be mistaken.  We should all pay attention.

Kingdom life is weird.  For one thing, God makes rock-solid rules and then sometimes changes the markers.  Our flexibility is always in question.  How do we sort patience from lethargy?  How do we sort bold courage from bullyism?  Do we suffer from distinguishing using His Sword from grinding our axes?

I don't know.  I don't know.  And, yes.

In the mid-80s I felt we were off about the Holy Spirit.  I felt guilty for believing differently about what my respected peers had vocalized as pure liberal error.  Once I was sure it was of God that the Spirit worked directly in our lives, I preached for a year about the Spirit of God before I would come out with the actual term Holy Spirit.

I don't know the answers to so many of our issues.  I believe that once we take our sides and move on, there will be newer issues arise.  We haven't had a decade without many yet.  What I do know is there are many who have profound opinions and concepts who appear to have little interest or knowledge of Jesus.  This concerns me about me.

Mr. McCarty's voice, I believe, is accurate about several things.  One thing in particular is that if we think we would lose members for advancing a practice, we just as well admit we are already losing members by denying the same.

The more I learn about God the less I know about God.  I would simply urge each of us to make sure our campaign is, as best we can figure, always about what burdens God rather than what gripes our souls.

No comments: