Tuesday, May 21, 2013

THE OTHER PERSON ISN'T "ALWAYS" WRONG

Most of us are thinkers.  Few would be so indifferent.  Thinking, admittedly, often causes bias.  If we actually thought something else was right rather than what we already think, we would have thought it instead.

Therefore what we think is not only right from our perspective; it becomes an unwritten law where we strongly anticipate others must ultimately abide.

While insecurity has been one of my more major blemishes, this did not interfere with the process where I believed that whatever I thought seemed natural that all others should think as well.  I believed my approach was the right one.  Otherwise, I would have thought differently.

This is a problem.  When disagreements arose I just assumed all other parties to be...well...to be obviously WRONG. 

This would explain why I have had to learn so much.  It turns out, to everyone's shock, that I'm not always right.

I first learned this assumed absolute-ism from my dad.  He was a good man and daily informed us in many ways that what he thought was the only way to go.  For years I believed that whatever dad believed was complete truth; no need to question, doubt, or wonder.  He thought so, too, and I followed in step.  I wanted to be just like him....and for many years....was.

If school friends played a game in their home differently than the rules for the same game in our home, I sneered.  They had never had the honor of meeting the Rushes who knew everything and thought everything right.  We couldn't help it if our family knew things that others didn't.  We were sorta graced I assumed.

Our family was just blessed with knowing things the right way because we thought well.  We just couldn't help it if we were always right.  Other kids weren't as blessed as my brother and me!!!!

Eventually we mature and move away from childish things.  We discover others' opinions and insights are worth our attention.  In disagreeable matters they might be right.  Or, we might be right. 

As old as many of us are, we must still be reminded that the other person isn't "always" wrong.  They may be right more than we would like to admit.



No comments: