Friday, December 21, 2012

PRAYERS FOR PHILIP AND JANET

I believe what I am about to share will encourage you about the arm of God and how far He reaches with, to, and through each of us.

I have this friend that writes stuff.  He's always writing...or lecturing...or listening...in some formation which would lead others to deeper spiritual understanding.  I speak of Philip Yancey.

Yesterday's eVolleys noted once again why I love and admire this brother so much.  He lives to see that societies are permeated with the hopeful touch of Jesus.  His words yesterday proved consistent.

He and wife Janet are invited to work with the devastated in Newtown, CT. in a few days.  He will speak to community groups and then field questions throughout the weekend after Christmas. 

From Germantown to Germany, readers of this blog wonder what we can do to assist the heartbroken of the Northeast.  I ask that you pray...really...for Philip's words and Janet's counsel to carry Holy Spirit backing and impact. 

Philip is a plain, common man with desperate need for God to flow from him for he is far too small left on his own.  Consider his request...and then thank God in prayer for His supreme presence and guidance over this troubling time.  May the abundant tears be transformed into telescopes to see the reality of kingdom life just a bit clearer.  Hearts are wide-open for help.  Let us be a part of a team that gives it.

See a portion of his humble note below. 

We've arranged two community-wide meetings, Friday and Saturday, Dec. 28-29, on the theme, "Where Is God When It Hurts?" and then two church services on Sunday.  Churches in the region will come together, and many who attend will be unchurched.  I've had some tough assignments (Virginia Tech, Mumbai, Sarajevo), but this one is horribly unique.  I would truly appreciate your prayers this week as I prepare--not exactly what I had planned for Christmas week--and then New Year's weekend as we travel to Connecticut........I'm not sure why I get picked for these assignments (God doesn't ask my permission in advance), and I feel unworthy, especially in this case because I am not a parent.  It helps mightily that we go not alone, rather buoyed by your support and prayers.

2 comments:

DarrelM said...

God works His will through so many people in so many ways that we can never imagine.

The Church is so much bigger and diverse than we can fathom and the Light will shine through Philip and Janet.

Our little tribe is just a small piece of a much bigger work and we have a small part to encourage, pray, and support the work of a big God doing big things.

Greg England said...

What an incredible opportunity for prayer support. I'm going to bring this up at our church and small group for prayer support as well. Merry Christmas to you and your family, Terry. We love you more than you can know.