Thursday, September 06, 2012

LEADERSHIP'S PERSONALITY


I have watched the political conventions with enormous interest.  A politician, I'm not.  But I love to study the dynamics of reason, vision, and speech delivery; both the poor as well as the profound.

I continue to keep my eyes most upon the path of Jesus; his speech and his work. 

Jesus is leadership at its perfection.

Glimpses of him show up in men and women on these stages I have recently viewed. 

What is it that makes a leader a leader?  Surely shelves cannot contain the books written over time nor banks the royalties gleaned from latest leadership fad.

But I love to learn.  I am to be a leader and I want to note how it's done and track how it isn't done.  I want to accomplish the former and avoid the latter.  The truth is I'm more of a wannabe leader than a real one.

But when I study Jesus I hear his words, watch his movement, and imagine both his eyes and his facial expression. 

Jesus is the leader's leader. 

He caught it.  Knew it.  Was it.  Is it.

Here's what I see about him that we in leadership positions and political stages still need to practice.  Jesus had a knack for being sacrificial toward his enemies and responsive to the neglected.  He was a powerful man.

In watching Jesus, I find the might of leadership to be found in both humility and courage.  It takes great strength to yield--even if appearing as a loser for a time--that God might have a shot at offering His resurrection power.

It takes great courage to be humble....but I think it is THE trait of heaven's leaders.

.

No comments: