Sunday, July 01, 2012

I GET TO WORK AT MEMORIAL DRIVE

It's July.  You know what July is, right? 

July 15 is when I reluctantly moved from Illinois to work with Memorial.  I didn't want the job.  But two weeks from today will be 35 years of, I changed my mind! 

What a job.  What place.  What a people.  What an opportunity.

I have never quit trying to qualify for this job.  It turns out I wasn't the young hot-shot I had assumed.  (I guess mom was wrong.)  It turns out I was much more clueless than I originally feared.  I don't know how any have survived me (hundred and hundreds didn't). 

If ever God has displayed that He is willing to work with weakness, my ministry is His posture child.  Riddled with inferiority, I am still the luckiest man I ever met.  Jack Buck thought he was....but he was mistaken.

I developed an early philosophy that helped me endure me and us.  While I didn't like some of the decisions and attitudes that went with them, I would tell myself, Hey, a lot of men out there would love to sit at your desk for one day.  God chose me.  So be grateful.

On the plus side, I guess I could be credited with grooming the faith of the members at Memorial for in order for any to stick with me they would direly need it. 

At this stage of life (turning 65 and anniversaring 35), I am just getting started.  I've never seen a time when hope is so marketable.  The world wants a break from the pestering antics of self-absorption and self-obsession.  We must find relief from ourselves.

Jesus is still the way.  His message is stronger and brighter than ever. 

Wowie....I get to work in a most meaningful labor.  Thank you, Memorial Drive, for holding on to me when I didn't have a clue what to do next.



No comments: