Wednesday, February 29, 2012

NOT EVERYWHERE IS A GARDEN OR A BALL GAME

I was reminded once again yesterday of a zone in the center of all communities that I tend to block from my mind.

I speak of jails and prisons.

I can sit in emergency rooms with our hurting. Too, I am able to minister to families in funeral homes; surely cry with them. It is the prison system that makes me ill.

Two things are wrong about them. I don't mean the punishment of such is wrong; but the actual scenes. For one, it is just a harsh scenario to watch real human beings be caged. Man wasn't created for such.

And second, it seems to be a brewery for violators to enhance, even escalate, their vices. I watched yesterday as five men moved about in their bright orange jumpsuits as if they were at church camp.

I applaud all who work in this venue. I can't do it. It is all I can do to visit on occasion. When young Michael was shackled to the wall by the guard yesterday....well, it just kills my heart. I couldn't do what prison ministers do.

We take our turns working in our places of God's giftedness. For those of you who go behind locked doors to deal with the broken, the tattooed, the tortured, and the abandoned....thank you.

Not everywhere is a garden or a ball game.

I salute you.

No comments: