Thursday, January 19, 2012

WE GO ONLY BY THE BIBLE

To build a faith based solely upon the Word of God is, in my opinion, as highly noble as a lofty goal can get. A pure conviction based upon His perfect revelation is Truth based upon Truth.

Our tribe, though, is guilty of parroting said convictions without faithful follow-through. In a few places we are guilty of adding to and subtracting from scripture while using scripture to prove why one must not.

I was converted with repeated admonition to go only by the sure Word of God. Soon confusion arose as quite vocal stances were issued of which I assumed to be true. The deliverer surely seems convinced so why should I doubt? He was one of us and certainly a respected leader to boot.

But then respected leaders began to wrangle over "what it said". For a young guy intending on always getting it right, such clamor was a major disruption for my training had been based upon the simplicity of the understandable Word.

This was a positive dilemma as it forced me to develop my own faith. I wished all would approve of my conclusions--tried to work it so--but such was inevitably a dream-world of which even Jesus could not succeed.

What to do? How to think? Where to turn?

Fortunately, Father and many of the church hung (hangs) in there with me while I perpetually sort out what He says in the Bible. The early admonition to go by the Bible continues to be the correct avenue to Truth.

When I would hear boisterous claims or read of passionate directives, I finally had to take the verbatim and ask myself, Where is that sentence in the Bible?

I began to re-investigate what I had been told and what I was holding on to in my heart. Where did the Bible say:







  • The Holy Spirit no longer works in a believer?




  • Churches cannot have garage sales?




  • We give God our best?




  • If you step from a curb having neglected to ask for forgiveness of your last sin, you will go to Hell?




  • You cannot have two acts of worship going on simultaneously?




  • You cannot take up a collection for God's causes on any day except Sunday?




  • You cannot bounce on your toes during songs and please God?




  • Silence of scripture is authoritative?




  • Interpretation of the Word is by direct command, apostolic example, and necessary inference?




  • The KJV is the only correct Bible translation?




  • A church that has a Mother's Day Out program is liberal?




  • You cannot have Christmas trees in the building?




  • You should sing Christmas songs in July to show we are different than denominations?




  • We are not a denomination?




  • There is only one reason for divorce?




  • You cannot forgive anyone until they ask for it?




  • Women can sing in church but cannot say Amen or speak?




  • It is wrong to drink anything alcoholic?




  • Videos with instrumental music can be shown in church before the opening prayer or after the closing prayer and we will not have sinned?




  • It is wrong to eat in a church building?



These are twenty ideas I soon heard when I became a serious believer. I immediately wanted to do the right things by believing only the right things. We go only by the Bible is still a most noble calling. Our challenge will continually be to honestly note which is a Bible teaching and which is a factual and traditional preference of one or many among us.







6 comments:

Unknown said...

Some of these I hadn't heard of...and sure makes me role my eyes at the absurdity of them. We live in fear of doing something wrong instead of simply trying to do things right. Even though the paradoxical thought is we are not doing things so that we are right, in the end.

So much that we don't go by the Bible! But we can't look at some of those!!! :) Someone told me about a book called the 5th Gospel, where we pick and choose what we want and create a new book. I think many of us have done that in our lives. However, the kicker is when we feel others should live by our "gospel" otherwise they are "wrong."

Thanks for the post...

Becky said...

I needed to read this today...I just love you....we think alike...again :)

Larry Wishard said...

Glad you're following Jesus, not Traditionalsim.
Larry Denver

Anonymous said...

"We are not a denomination"...that one rings true lately with me! Someone I know (maybe you?) said, how can you walk into a cofC in Texas and another one in Washington and know exactly what you're going to get? Or, if you don't "agree" with the "non-negotiables" that you're blackballed (Apostacy II anyone? :-))? Or the fact that there is an accepted 'directory' of churches, and doing or not doing certain practices gets you in or out of said directory?

And, on a more general note, why do other groups/tribes have non-negotiables that they can actually disagree with, but the cofC does not? It's all "Truth"....

Thanks
Jay

Bruce said...

You forgot number 21. The magic happens in the water.

Bruce said...

You forgot number 21. The magic happens in the water.