Sunday, December 04, 2011

MULTI-SITE CHURCHES

While we might still be good at refraining from calling the church house the church (for the church is the people; we all know), there remains among us the tendency to believe the kingdom of God operates mainly from such centralized acreage. It may be time for expansion of such a funneled vision.

Of course I enjoy the crowds in attendance. Yes, I would love to find the count ever-increasing. Yet, it is possible and (maybe) probable that the church could do more at being the church by moving away from our central hub.

Occasionally a few of Memorial's workers will move down the street to our sponsored elementary school for clean-up day....yes, on a Sunday morning. With paint brushes and Lord's Supper involved, a few gather to be Jesus to a public school system.

Last Sunday our Youth Minister took the teens to a workplace where they moved one of our older members from one house to another. Again, the Supper was observed, the fellowship was intact, and the work of the cross in thinking of others was administered.

Don't misunderstand. I'm not antsy to "break us up". But such is what happened among the earliest of beginning believers as they were forced to break up into smaller groups spread into other countries.

We have said it right all along. I'm just not sure we have believed our own lingo. The meeting house isn't the church. The church is wherever the believer(s) is. I love our assemblies; the bigger the better.

Having stated this, I still wonder if more would not be reached through multi-sites. If you happen to disagree with me, that's quite all right. I disagree with me as well.

I just wanted to share this should it click with any in an area I can't yet grasp or even imagine!

While I merely write about multi-site churches, though, others are already doing it....quite effectively.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Planting churches is definitely one of many ways to spread the gospel.

Jay

Sherry Holmes said...

I think we'd be wise to be the church in different geographic areas and not focus so much on "planting" a new body. Continuing to build organizations or
institutions is missing the point that I believe we're called to see...that the gospel will be spread more when we love and serve one another.

I'm learning and seeing that people are drawn more to our love than to our buildings, disciplines, programs or traditions.