Friday, December 09, 2011

BYE-BYE ALBERT

The Los Angeles Angels signed long-time Cardinal slugger Albert Puhols for millions upon millions of dollars. Millions of dollars don't resonate with me as big as they probably should because I live mostly with $5s, $10s, and $20s. Yet, I get the picture---BIG.

So many phone calls, emails, or personal encounters have one main question coming at me, Terry, are you okay? Three police officers at breakfast (that are always in the cafe each morning) inquired if I was doing okay today.

Of course I am.

I'm not only doing good, I'm ecstatic! I didn't want Albert to resign with us.

Love him? Yes. Admire him? Of course. Remain a fan of his? Of course.

Want him to stay? No.

To me, Albert is a case of unfortunate greed. I would wish to be wrong, but I would say that within three years of his ten year contract, he will not produce the results these major bucks assumed. He might leave baseball as one of the best players ever only to be resented by the fans for his paycheck.

Greed, though, isn't just a matter of baseball stars. It is surely embedded into the fabric of our kingdom effort. Money doesn't only talk. It talks in a whisper...with allurement...that we might gain comfort for our self-center.

Greed is a temptation to many to depend on dollars rather than the good hand of Father. May we each do what we can to place our constant trust upon the treasures of a faithful-to-His-promise filling God.

1 comment:

Brian's Bibilcial Minute said...

As a St. Louis native, it has bothered me so much about the Pujol deal. When is enough just enough? Or, is there any such thing as enough is just enough?

I have some of Pujols' memorabilia in my office. I've pondered, do I keep it or replace it. Or, keep it as a reminder that I do not want to be like that guy? Or, where does grace fit it? Or, am I just blowing this all out of proportion? Maybe he deserves $250+ Millions! (not really)

Great post, Terry!