Thursday, December 01, 2011

BASIC INCLINATION JUST HAS TO GO

We are called to a daunting task. We work for the King.

Man's basic inclination is self-preservation. This basic inclination goes out the window when facing the kingdom life.

Preaching and teaching are pregnant with nervous anticipation. What will we say next? Teach next? Study next?

When I began such a ministry I had two goals: (1) fill up the time, and (2) find out what the brotherhood believed so I could assume their stances of sound doctrine. I preached outlines; but I didn't have much to say from God for His people. I was a likable sort who steered clear of upsetting anyone best I could.

I self-vowed I would never teach anything which would draw the ire from anyone that I was a liberal who left the Word of God and jumped off the deep end. Never! However, I've learned the hard way---believe me---that sticking with the Word is the quickest and surest way of igniting unforgiving fire.

But God broke in and keeps breaking in. He continues to reveal Himself from directions which play havoc upon goals #1 and #2. The less I peruse the Brotherhood Quarterlies and rub up against the poor and the depressed, the more of God I see oozing from life's "spring of what matters".

The Word runs deep, young preacher. If the day hasn't occurred let it, as it happened to me, that you do not run to it to glean lessons for presentation. Rather, you let your eyes rest upon it to say "teach me" what you wish someone would hear.

Our basic inclination is self-preservation until.....until we begin to permissively position ourselves within His sights for true and meaningful ministry. Two things will change immediately: (1) you will have more sermon and class material than you can use week by week which has depth of meaning to those who hunger to hear from God, and (2) you will not escape being in trouble with a brotherhood addicted and devoted to their Brotherhood Quarterlies.

2 comments:

Sherry Holmes said...

Well said, Terry. I am grateful that you "think outside of the 'traditional' brotherhood mindset/teaching box"....keep up the good work. I may not always agree with you, but I appreciate being challenged to think differently and for myself.

Liz Moore said...

Love what you said... "But God broke in and keeps breaking in. He continues to reveal Himself from directions which play havoc upon goals #1 and #2. The less I peruse the Brotherhood Quarterlies and rub up against the poor and the depressed, the more of God I see oozing from life's "spring of what matters"." God has a way of showing us the things that really matter!