Saturday, November 05, 2011

IS HAPPINESS REALLY A CHOICE?

God and I were discussing this topic on our way to the office this morning. I was telling Him how I so enjoy watching the three of Him do such outrageous work in front of us. We began to think about the topic of happiness.

I walked into my office and turned my daily calendar to this:

Don't be sad about the things you want and don't get. Think how many things you don't want that you don't get!

Why is happiness such a big deal to me? It is because I spent far too many years--including preaching time--being terribly unhappy, dissatisfied, and.....well...extremely pouty.

What changed for me was to realize I really did have a choice in the matter. I could place a deciding vote as to whether I wanted to like today....every day! You know what? That's not a wish. It is the truth.

All happy people have just as many aches and pains as the rest; maybe even more. The difference in life is not whether the good breaks or bad breaks happened. The difference is made when one chooses what to dwell upon.

Choosing to be happy doesn't mean only happy things occur. Devastation and discouragement are at many turns. The definitive factor toward joy is what we choose to soak our mind in. That's it.

God taught me this in many places. Philippians 4:4-13 would not allow me to revert to my age-worn excuse that others got breaks but I didn't. All have enough go wrong to drive us to the edge of the cliff at times. God, though, teaches us to notice the beauty that up til now had not been noticed until we arrived at the edge of the cliff.

Be happy? It is your vote independent of anyone else.

Even this post can make you elated or resentful; but only you choose which it will be.

No comments: