Thursday, September 08, 2011

WHERE ARE WE GOING?

Are mission statements useful to the kingdom march? Or, are they mere distractions to falsely satisfy the flesh in the name of spiritual lingo? I don't know. I have some thoughts for consideration. May some of them benefit your mission.

I'm not interested in mission statements. I've been a part of too many committees enthralled with such an assignment only to find that (even after posting such in the foyer) it was basically ignored and the church moved on its merry way.

My brother and I had a train set. We loved setting it up; track, tunnel, bridge, crossing signs, and all. However, when it was all set and the train went around the tracks about three times, we were bored; done with it.

This is how I see the question, Where are we going? Who wants to know things like this and what will those who want to know do with it when they find out? A former member at Memorial pressed for such definition. When we put it in print in the foyer one of his kids had a problem and they moved to another congregation. So much for mission statements.

My observation is that the wrong question is being asked. Where are we going?, I believe is the wrong question. The better question is, Where is it God is calling us? Could it be the church would find greater satisfaction in listening for His call rather than pooling our imaginations for direction?

I was asked (called) to go to preaching school. It was not in my mission statement. Marvin Phillips called asking me to speak at a new kind of workshop in Tulsa. Soon after, Memorial Drive called me (twice) to interview for this job. Upper Deck baseball cards called about playing ball and preaching (the Sermon on the Mound) at Dyersville, Iowa's Field of Dreams. White's Ferry Road called inviting me to host a television program that baptized hundreds in three years.

Is everything I do from a call? No. But inventorying the above, I wouldn't have put any of those items in my mission statement.

You can see I personally wrestle with, Tell me where the church is headed, I need to know where we are going, or We need to form a mission statement as to our direction. To me a mission statement is a man-made creature that pacifies leaders who don't know what to do.

I don't know where I'm going. Abraham didn't either (Hebrews 11:8). But I do know that it excites me very much to note the amazing doors God has opened for the local church and the church at large. Due to such an experience, I just assume He has more up His sleeve.

I am fully aware that not many think of this as I do. I would venture you see something my personality tic just won't let me see. For now this is my story...and I'm sticking with it for at least the next four hours.

3 comments:

drjimwhite said...

Amen and Amen! Terry, Franklin Wood and I have been talking about this very thing for a long time. Thanks for verbalizing our thoughts and discussion. Where is God calling us? works better than Where do we plan to go?

Anonymous said...

You need a "Like" button or a "Love" button on your posts.

Anonymous said...

Good stuff...thanks for sharing your perspective on this. Several times in my life I thought I had God on a timeline of so many years until certain things happened. Turns out I was wrong and God was right. My plans got turned upside down and things worked out so much better than if my plans had succeeded.