Thursday, September 01, 2011

TAKING A BACK SEAT

Ministry--mine in particular--has taken such a surprise turn that I feel both surprised and embarrassed. I'm embarrassed that it is a surprise.

It was in the Word all along. But somehow I thought it meant John the Baptist. We must decrease that He might increase. I see clearer day by day that back seat-ism is the right way to go when it comes to leadership.


Jesus fulfilled the Baptist's words in that he, too, decreased to the point of death...death on the deadliest of terrains...the cross.

Has not God made it clear that we are to lose our lives. Where are we going? What is our goal? Our mission statement? If it is to lose, finish last, take the back seat, and die we are surely on target for His call.

I see it now. I am called to make others look good, to see that others get noticed, to lead by decreasing. None of this seems to fit the progress mold. Yet, I deem it one of those gignantic secrets of God.

Join me. Take the back seat. Sit on the back row. Enjoy the view of others looking so good at what they get done. Praise God. We all have a place to serve.






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmm, I like that idea. Of course, it runs so counter to what we are taught in the world, and unfortunately, it runs counter to what *I* want! :-)