Sunday, May 15, 2011

ALWAYS A ROOKIE

Okay.  I have an announcement to make.  You know those days when you are young and you think you will turn that corner where you finally have no need to learn any further; that you will have your purpose and understanding of it pretty much wrapped up?  You know....those times you guestimate you will have sufficient grasp of both your role and your task at hand?

Yet, whether 30s or 40s or 50s and now mid-60s, someone seems to be moving the stakes.  Whatever we seem to conquer brings with it a new level of challenge. 

I was telling one in our small group tonight about my interest in working on a vision committee at Memorial.  I was explaining that I don't have specifics in mind; that I just want to be supportive of some of the younger leaders who have a sense for the future.  But I will tell you one thing I feel strongly about.  I'm not interested in going into massive debt over whatever we might deem a godly direction. 

Her response was so wise and so simple; Yes, Terry, and that's because of our age.  We no longer want the burden of debt.  But the younger ones will be willing to tackle it just as we did when we were in our 30s and 40s. 

No kidding.

There I go again.  I'm too old to be a rookie.  Yet, I am a rookie in the sense I have never functioned in some of the zones from this age platform before.  This is why we must have the Spirit to bear the right kind of fruit at any and every age. 

There will always be challenges.  There will always be risks.  There will always be times we find our backs to the wall because such moments usher in the the beautiful rescue and response of God. 

Hmmm.  I am a rookie....still.  I will always be a rookie....and I like it for rookie means there are some things of which I am still young....like learning.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think your "advisor" may be surprised to find out many "young people" are NOT borrowing at the level we did at their age.

Anonymous said...

Regarding generational sensitivity to debt.

Today's 30-40 year olds seem to be more cautious than the previous generation.

Note the demographics of the Financial Peace seminar.