Saturday, April 23, 2011

OPPORTUNITY BEFORE OUR VERY EYES

I'm not against Monday night's "Labor in the Kingdom" or Thursday evening's "Win One for the Master" ministries a church might schedule.  These matter....and they produce.  Yet, I can't help but notice something about Jesus; he was "on" all of the time. 

Jesus was so alert to those in his path.  We might be a bit programmed to see kingdom opportunity only when it scheduled upon that not-so-biblical unit called the filled church calendar.  It is possible we miss glorious God-events because the calendar didn't note it as significant.  Possible? 

I had one of those special unscheduled moments this morning.  I love people.  I think they work hard and get little respect for being good and responsible in their efforts. 

I was sitting in my #1 hole-in-the-wall cafe this morning studying my car book, Why Jesus.  I am content to simply read and sip.  Still, I kept noticing the richness of the moment. There I was in a restaurant full of strangers; none bothering the other and all engaged either in conversation or scanning the paper.

I wondered to myself, What is it that can be done to direct these toward Jesus (realizing many in there may be more in tune with him than me)?  Everyone was going about their own business.  And they were so sweet.  The day may come when my eyes are too dim or my ears too weak or my body simply immobile to enjoy such a privileged sight.

Then it occurred to me.  I have church funds set aside for community outreach.  I called the waitress over and told her to gather the tickets of everyone.  Her eyes got big, All of them?! 

She quietly gathered all tickets and I met her at the register.  I told her to tell them when they got ready to pay, The church up the street with the funny roof wishes you a Happy Easter!

What will God do with that move?  Ah....I believe something meaningful.  The fun part is I don't control what it is.

Opportunity is before our very eyes.  Our joy is to imagine it.

6 comments:

Vasca said...

I believe that is what you call 'natural evangelism'...right?

Undoubtedly, occurances just as you've described today are over-poweringly joyful and inspire us to breathe it in and expand our 'borders'...

The feelings I get when something like that occurs is 'one huge continuing wow thing'. It fans my flame and erupts into a fire of exhuberance for His purpose.

All we need to do is keep our minds open ~ 24/7. The rest is a wonderful 'piece of cake'.

You are a superific encourager for His Purpose.

Vanessa said...

I love you and your heart. You bless me, friend. :)

Anonymous said...

Jesus was 'on' and he was also simple. Just like calling for all of the tickets in the place. We need more simplicity. Thanks for doing that!

Greg England said...

Can't help but believe we'll be reading another blog soon about how God used this moment!

Anonymous said...

Cool beans, Terry!

Anonymous said...

great and inspiring.