Wednesday, March 30, 2011

I DON'T THINK WE KNOW WHAT WE ARE TALKING ABOUT

Can I tell you a secret that you already know?  I don't know near as much as I try to portray.  It isn't that I'm trying to pull the wool over anyone's eyes.  It is, rather, that I felt for awhile I could keep up with the big fish in the pond.  The problem with me was I just didn't realize there was an ocean.

Oceanism exasperates pondism all to pieces.  Trying to grasp the size of the Father, the depth of the Son, and the breadth of the Holy Spirit, I basically don't think we know what we are talking about.  I head that "we" list. 

Nor do I make this comment disparagingly.  I, for one, headed into the preaching ministry with great enthusiasm that I would eventually corner Truth to be personally loaded with many of my fine answers.  However, the more I learn of God the more I discover He just keeps expanding. 

I have delightfully studied His Revelation for 35 intense years now...and whereas I assumed I just about had Him surrounded....He captured me. 

Of course we can know truth.  Of course truth shall make us free.  So don't make something out of this I'm not saying.  But do make out of it what I am.  We don't know nearly as much about God and His kingdom as we let on.

This is to God's glory. 

Wouldn't it be a sad day if one had approximately 85% of God researched and concluded?  He's that discoverable?  I read one person's take on a theme..and then another.  There is a common thread; strong opinion that their view is the best and only one correct.  I get that...I've issued such intended blessings upon those who would listen.

But it isn't true.  Yes, we can and should give answers for the hope that is within us.  But we, too, should realize that precious hope is subject to God's indispensable wisdom.  If one wants to get a clear picture of this just read the unclear and puzzling parables.  They are filled with secret code deciphered only by the walk of Jesus.

Keep learning.  Keep loving learning.  My opinion is we still don't know what we are talking about in many zones for God is too deep, too far, too high, and too wide.  That, of course, simply awakens the thrill that we will always be learners!

5 comments:

Vasca said...

I'm happy that God is limitless...to discover something new about Him each day is a wonderful awakening...a stirring...if you will. I cannot imagine being stirred by anything greater.

P.S. Yippee, you have successfully posted a comment on my blog...how great that you are my friend.

Brian's Bibilcial Minute said...

Oceanism and pondism! WOW, never thought of using those to words to get such a powerful point across. Incredible!

As you said at the workshop, Kindergarten is where I am. I haven't even graduated from pre-school. Still learning.

Greg England said...

I sat in a staff meeting one time and had the minister to seniors tell us that he had studied the Bible for x number of years and he had it all figured out. I asked if that meant there was nothing left for him to learn from God's word and he affirmed that! I felt very sorry for him.

I'm glad to see you are still making up words! Keeps your vocabulary fresh and a smile on my face.

Anonymous said...

Mr. Rush, great post. Another area some fail to learn is from folks younger than they. I've known folks that take issue with our young (40-something) preacher, b/c he is "no older or wiser" than they. Maturity in the walk, and age, don't always go together.

Like Greg says, very sorry for those folks, b/c often the answers for life come up short, and if they have nothing left to learn, then they have nothing.

Vasca said...

When you're through learning...
You're through...

I pray that I'll never be through...His Spirit continually opens things for me to study & learn...and even at my age, I'm still maturing. Wow!