Saturday, February 05, 2011

FALSE TEACHERS

In my accumulative years in the church since being converted at age 23, I have heard the stark warnings to beware of false teachers.  Moreover, steady accusation of such has come my way personally as well as perpetually. 

I take this charge seriously.  While I am a goof-ball in many areas only to be topped with silliness, I take the Word and the Master of it seriously.  After such a lengthy time I am convinced I most likely shall never escape such allegations.  And, there is a reason.

His name is Jesus.

I'm nothing.  I get that.  And, I have taught things improperly and assume those days aren't over.  Growing and maturing is a process of necessary adjustment.  But Jesus will cause a stir; even in our own work.  He doesn't fit the religious norm.....and the more we increase in him he will not let us fit it. 

Jesus was flogged by gnarly entrapment as to whether he was authentic in his positions.  One by one, dogmatic leaders proudly accused him of violating the law.  Today law has been transposed into Truth.  Accusers stand for Truth; so they claim. 

However, it can be noted that those who shout "false teacher" the loudest seldom do so from the personage of Jesus.......but from the Word.  My point is that these with the bellowing voices charging foul strike from the Word and not from Jesus......the very one who was also charged to be illegitimate in his stance.

It was Jesus who said "in the Word", You search the Scriptures, because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is these that bear witness of Me; and you are unwilling to come to Me, that you might have life (Jn.5:39-40).

When I was a Pharisee---and I was in my younger years---I stood emphatically upon the Bible.  What got me was I didn't know Jesus.  I did not.  I was busy building my Word-fort.  And for a brief while, I was a good guy in the eyes of important accusers.

Yet, Jesus spoke the truth.  I knew Bible, but didn't know him.

This is what is going on within much of the "false teacher" accusational thrust.  Entrapment.  Finding violation of the Bible in the name of Truth.  Judgmental and squint-eyed, we pride ourselves in spouting scripture with seldom reference in such moments to Jesus and his freeing bid.

Truth is truth....and Jesus said he is it.  The paradox found in Jesus is that by the time he gets done with us it often turns out that the ones pointing their skinny fingers while shouting "false teacher" really are the false teachers themselves.

2 comments:

Broken Chains 4 All said...

Thank you for these thoughts...so true. If we deviate from any "party line" we are going to be persecuted...but, we are called to stand for and deliver the truth. Jesus did the same thing and was persecuted for it...so shall we be. Blessings to you.

Anonymous said...

Wow, Terry, another incredible insight! Thanks for sharing that with me, a former Pharisee myself. I'm only still a follower due to God's amazing grace in giving me time to see the problem with "all book" and "no Jesus". Thank you again.