Wednesday, October 20, 2010

CONSTRUCTION FAITH

I think one reason we like the kingdom of God so much is its high energy, great activity, permissive rest dimensions.  All fit.  Fired up and fueled or drained and in need of a break, nothing is static with God at the Top.  All is working for good; ups and downs, highs and lows..

The apostles did outstanding work.  They began by doing nothing notable other than waiting around in the upper room.  Waiting is a fascination to me for such is usually key to making the most urgent progress.  The magic to their waiting was they had what I would label construction faith.  They really believed stuff would happen although they were absolutely clueless as to what stuff might look like.

Enter Jesus.

When Jesus enters the picture we can start the movie!  Not until.

When Jesus enters the picture we can walk with him dodging flaming missiles and even being hit by a few.  But we keep believing with construction faith; that trust that we don't know what we are doing, Jesus is the director, and it's up to him to see the story-line unfold.

Construction faith is what you and I have in our slim tool kit.  We don't have hammers and saws and wouldn't know how to drive a bulldozer.  But we have what we need; Jesus the carpenter.  He builds.  He remodels.  He overhauls. 

Because we know the Carpenter we can know for sure renovation...wonderful church renovation...is always a strong possibility!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Church's role is not to "convert" or "save" or to dispense salvation. It is not to judge whether someone can join the club. It is not to decide if someone has really been saved. It is not to make the Church a nice place for those inside.

Newsflash ... the Church doesn't have one representative on the membership committee for the Church, and nobody worships the Church. Salvation doesn't start with the Church, or even with Jesus. It's starts with people who are drawn to the Father. The Father then directs people to Jesus, and now the Church. Jesus made clear His own role: No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him ...

In the process of tailoring the Church club to its own liking, some lose sight of the one true goal: All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I WILL NEVER DRIVE AWAY. For I have come down from heaven not to do my will but to do the will of him who sent me. And THIS IS THE WILL of him who sent me, THAT I SHALL LOSE NONE of all that he has given me ...

Your mission as the Church: DON'T LOSE ANY whom GOD SENDS. The Church doesn't turn people to God. It RECEIVES THEM.

Gather, teach, Baptize. GOD SENDS. STOP DRIVING PEOPLE AWAY, CHURCH.