Wednesday, February 03, 2010

WHEN TEMPTED TO WILT

I don't know about you, but sometimes my mind feels the temptation to enter melt-down. I become very sad for the pains of people. Oddly, that's precisely what drew me to ministry...God cares for people.

Yesterday my day ended on a surprise that a dear friend is suicidal. There is grave concern for this one who is so valuable, so important; yet has reached a point of nearly caving in to depression. My heart grieves as I have thought of this one all night and all day today....unable to get a response on the phone.

And then.....this morning our church learned of LeGrand Strickland on maneuvers in Afghanistan across the border in Pakistan. A bomb exploded and all in his company were killed except him. At this point we know he has had both legs amputated and suffers from a traumatic head injury.

My mind pings and pongs between these two friends and their families. They are the ones in pain; not me. They are the ones suffering; I'm fine. But the ache they feel transfers over into my heart....our hearts.

When we are tempted to wilt under the strain of heartbreak we must keep our focus upon the Wounded Healer. He's been there, done that, and knows precisely how to minister to us in the center of our perplexing issues. Praise be to God. He knows how to do insult and injury. He knows how to remain supreme.

May we lift our eyes upon Jesus.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Maybe a good time to re-read yesterday's post--"Death Died." Ahhhh, such comforting and reassuring words.

Tammy said...

Thank you...I needed this today.