Wednesday, February 24, 2010

IN OVER MY HEAD

What is it like being a minister? For that matter, what is it like being an elder or teacher or a member? From this perspective, all are the same; we should be in over our heads.

The longer I'm privileged to be in ministry the more I am filled with unanswers.

I applaud you if this fits your zone. To live in the territory of not knowing the direction, the outcome, nor the answers indicates we are serving beyond our comfort zone. I point out at this moment that those of you who are not in over your head may need to seriously re-evaluate. You may be trying to do your work in the name of God rather than yielding to His work.

Living over my head scares me. Two things set the stage for misfire: (1) I don't know what to do, and (2) I don't know how to do the what that I don't know.

But, think with me. Do you really think Noah had a grasp of the Ark instructions? Did Moses know what he was doing as he led a fleeting crowd right into the center of the Red Sea? Did the priests have a solid understanding of how the Jordan would change its mind when the souls of their feet touched the high waters?

One would think (I would have thought) that after being at one place for over three decades, a man would have more answers than I have. Not. I can't say I'm more clueless than ever because I began basically clueless. Fortunately, God lets me operate from that mode because He is well clued.

Not sure where to turn? Not sure how anything will work out? Unclear as to sober decisions exactly which direction to move? Be sure: (1) you don't, and (2) He does.

When we are not in over our heads, we many not be in the correct kingdom.

I believe, knowing God, someone really needed to read this today. Great!

3 comments:

James Riley said...

I did! Thanks Terry.

Chris Johnson said...

Thank you. This truth is so opposite what we are told when studying to be a minister. It is powerful to know that God calls us to a place where we won't "lean on our own understandings."
Thank you

Bobby S said...

I needed it!