Monday, January 04, 2010

FAITHFUL TO GOD?

I wonder how faithful I am to God? Could it be that time has eroded my commitment to Him and I now find myself more committed to the pressures of being us? Are you in a similar quandary? I believe some leaders have bowed to the need to keep the church happy over pleasing the Father. This is no light accusation. Rocking the boat is still not acceptable among us. Yet of all people, Jesus will rock the boat....very much.

I know we still use faithful lingo with scriptural reference. I know we meet on Sundays and observe the Lord's Supper. I know all of that.

But I question how much the church, in general, does because it senses a great calling from God. Or, do we simply move about from one application of ministry to another good idea just hoping something smacks of effectiveness.

I believe we have an invisible Trojan horse in some camps. It can't be seen but it can be sensed. It is filled with imposing regulations which few discuss; everyone just understands the rules.

Are you openly discussing the Holy Spirit among us? Are you hearing testimony of God working? Do you see strangers being immediately welcomed by those other than the officially assigned ones? Are hearts opened to needs of others?

In some places yes. Other places no.

We are being challenged at Memorial by God. He is leading us into our deteriorating community. It is going to take money and heart and faith and patience. Our people can do it. We aren't keeping house.

When we hit such times a good separation takes place; we each find ourselves being pruned yet one more time regarding things that really don't matter on the kingdom side of the ledger.

It is good for us to ask from time to time; am I in this because of God or have I slipped into an unconscious mode of keeping everybody happy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are very important questions to ask myself...

Re: "imposing regulations which few discuss; everyone just understands the rules." ...recently we found ourselves in a scenario where the rules only became clear after being broken. And then we should have known better....Not a free way to live. And isn't it for freedom that Christ set us free and we are to live as free?

Anonymous said...

god bless you rush! god seems to be moving many of us to the deteriorating communities that we drive thru but rarely "visit".

i pray that we cross paths in this endeavor and that God's kingdom will be grown by the efforts of churches like memorial!