Tuesday, December 22, 2009

THE WIN-WIN OF DISCIPLESHIP

Jesus was assertive in commanding his disciples to...disciple.

Discipling is the win-win action of the church's operating system. When we do the work (whatever it is) by ourselves, we short-sheet God's intended design of efficient functionality. When we become disciplined enough to train others to train others to train others, we have the true church operation. And the good news is? This method is highly productive.

Because of my tenure and my age, I am more aware than ever in ministry of the importance of empowering others. The more souls empowered, the greater the productivity among us. When the empowered learn to empower, a very exciting dynamic strikes every congregation.

It took me years to see this. I knew it in my head, but did not realize the power of its intent. I was doing my part of the work by myself. But as I realize I'm in the phasing out segment of my life (meaning I'm past 60), I see the value of mentoring as never before.

Our elders have seen it longer than me. Memorial Drive is highly energized because the elders backed away from being permission givers. They lead by finding champions of any and every cause. If they can't find a champion, they don't start the work. But a key to their effective (efficient) leadership is empowering ordinary and devoted members of the flock.

You should see our auditorium this Christmas season. Brad and Diann Coggins and Richard Lovett did it.....because Linda Scott empowered them. She had enough work to do and then accomplished more because she gave others room to show their gifts. J. D. and Cindy Hatter direct the member involvement ministry, PLACE, because Jason Thornton guided them. The elders didn't give permission for such a move because they already turned the responsibility over to Jason.

The win-win method of God is discipleship. Church leaders are making a big mistake when they have to have their hands in every pie. Such is a matter of egocentric control in the name of shepherding or ministering to the flock. When we let go of the reins we become enthusiastically astounded at how He reigns.

When we hit the win-win process, life in the kingdom happens so fast and so strongly we cannot chart all of its wonder.

No comments: