Wednesday, November 18, 2009

MINISTERS: HOW TO WORK YOUR SCHEDULE

Ah, I write as if I know everything. Well, I hardly know anything. From experience, though, I pass along ideas in case you could latch on to one or two with promise of lightening your heavy load. You know Jesus is deeply interested in easing our loads. Remember?

When I first hit ministry my days and evenings were cataloged. One night for visitation, another for church, another for committee meetings, another for evangelism, and then there was Friday family night. I followed instructions and maintained a faithfulness to my calendar.

It wasn't long 'til my assumed approach to successful ministry became buried in the quicksand of conflict. Life didn't seem to align with my predicted schedule. Adjustments had to be implemented.

First, I relaxed. This was new. I gradually learned to lean on God's provision rather than my synchronized schedule. My major adjustment came when I made every night family night. Instead of Tuesday night being evangelism night I went with my family to the kids ball games...and guess what? We began to see the friends I made at the games begin to become a part of our congregation. Who knew it would work this way? And....it was family night on the wrong night!?!

It became clear that wherever my kids were, there were people who needed encouragement and ministry became an entirely new animal. It transcended from either-or to God is involved in life abundant.

I shed the robes of being the church's little governor where I tried to show up at every birthday party or hospital room of every member. I couldn't get there....but the church could and I learned to do as Jesus exemplifies.....be present in the spirit of another without physically being on site. This is key.

Right now I am present in Florida, Utah, New Mexico...anywhere you want to name because I am connected directly to the Spirit of Christ. So are you.

I'm not lazy. If you are looking for an excuse to be lazy you don't bother reading this anyway. What I am is excited at the impossible and amazing work God does in, through, and with us while we try to figure out how to do His work.

My recommendation is to ease up. You'll like your work longer and I think you'll see more of God in your work if you'll back off and enjoy Him a bit.

2 comments:

Brian's Bibilcial Minute said...

Hi, My name is Brian and I am an addict of calendar scheduling. Thanks so much for giving me great advice. I needed this more than you know.

Anonymous said...

Mr. Rush, as I literally sit here and look at no less than 2 dozen engagements (and church stuff, at that) on my calendar between now and the end of the year, your post could not possibly have been any more timely! Thank you so much for the encouragement to relax!