Thursday, November 19, 2009

LIVING IN THE LAND OF AHS

Spread thin lately? Pressured? Discouraged?

I've been thinking about God....wondering what He's up to with me. I am at a temporary point where I feel uneasy. Surely you've been there where you are disappointed in people or situations. Anger isn't in the picture, but uncertainty is.

And then I remember something He taught me a long time ago. Once again I'm pressed to recollect His astute truth. God is quick on His feet....and I prove not to be.

The Spirit inspired the apostle to write, That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong... II Cor. 12:10.

I and many around me are not being persecuted; nothing of the kind. But the weaknesses, insults, hardships, and difficulties ring a bell. Kingdom work is hard work. It's like no other. Paul wrote in the verse just ahead of this that therefore I boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.

The church doesn't have an authority problem or a truth problem as much as it has a believing problem. Can we take His word at face value? Or, shall we run to one of our "solid in the faith" slogans while ignoring a very magnitudinal call to boast gladly when we don't have a clue how to handle kingdom matters?

This truth always brings me back. Where I waver and wonder if I can make it over this hurdle or through this next hoop, God reminds me to salute His brilliance of working so very backward to fleshly organization and evaluation.

Being bruised, being crushed, being unsure? All these rigors simply thrust each of us into that wonderful Land of Ahs.....ah, God is doing it again. We are powerful...the Word declares....because we are so weak that often we don't know if we can do another day...another meeting....of church stuff. And yes......we can for His power is draped upon us as a robed champion because of the very thing we didn't want to possess.....weakness.

Good for God. Good for us.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Reminds me what Beth Moore said that really hit home for me....christians have no trouble beliving IN God but they have trouble BELIVING God. If I really believe what God says, what do I have to fear or worry about.

Janet

Steven said...

Several things have come to pass the last 4 months in my life. When there is trouble like Joseph had, God turns it around preparing you for the better. Lesson learned: not to get discouraged in what happens to you, when others weaknesses seem to interfere. That interference is God working and communicating in you.

Storms rise and sometimes like fog blinds where we are going. Doing a Master’s course in Statistical Counseling is the fog. Getting a D (last two weeks of class) seemed uncertain and I doubted myself. When there is uncertainty in an outcome that seems bleak, you pray. This is allowing the Holy Spirit to intercede on your behalf. Sometimes withdrawing like Elijah allows God to feed us; when we seem uncertain of the outcomes. Then God shows His “face” to give you strength. Fortunately, I received a B in the course.

Finally, I learned to test my faith through God. Romans 12:2, is one of my top scriptures I repeat daily; “Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.” I have learned to test from Abraham. Yes, God told Abraham he will receive possession of the land. (Genesis 15:7 He also said to him, "I am the LORD, who brought you out of Ur of the Chaldeans to give you this land to take possession of it."). Abraham walked the faith and did what God told him. Notice what Abraham said, “ v.8 "O Sovereign LORD, how can I know that I will gain possession of it?"

Sometimes, we have to not rely on ourselves, test the Will of God and do it. I turned down two jobs. First job would have me in poverty even though it was a field of work I wanted to do. Second job was great money, but hours with family would have suffered. The third job was a temporary position. I prayed about it and said you provided this for me and I will follow. I turned two jobs down and followed Him. I am blessed. Today, I will find out if it turns out to be permanent. Praise God for whom all blessings flow.

When we face uncertainty I feel three things need to happen. First, step back and don’t doubt and allow God to feed you for a bit. Second, pray and allow the Holy Spirit to act on your behalf before the father. Finally, test the Will of God and allow Him to show up. It is when we allow God the opportunity to show up in our moments of uncertainty, that our uncertainty becomes most certain.

Thanks for a good post.