Thursday, September 17, 2009

A NEW KIND OF EXPERIENCE AMONG TULSA CHURCHES

I am so blessed to be at one church over a long haul. By such, I get to experience the refreshment of God that some, who were around in much shorter terms, missed. Specifically, I refer to the area Preachers' Luncheons for the Church of Christ ministers.

Now I don't know exactly how to convey my joy for my earliest experience at these meetings was anything but Christian. It was a gathering of bitter, pessimistic, and rude preachers who made the room light up upon their exit. Marvin Phillips continued to urge me to keep going and keep smiling; but I wasn't as strong as he. Very disappointed in the atmosphere I had once assumed to be a privileged fraternity, I found better things to do than expose myself to the meanest hour of my week.

But what a difference 30 years makes! I met today with a group of a dozen or so area ministers at the SouthBrook Church of Christ. Former minister, Rodney Grantham, gushed at the amazing transformation. Bob Herndon is one of the guys who is perfect for the stability among us. In my mind he is a minister's minister. He's possesses that unique ability to rally the troops in unity while leading us to lift our eyes to the higher terrain of Jesus.

One after another, we gave basically the same report regarding our work; God is opening doors to the immediate communities around us. Each story was our own story. God is using us in the public school systems. He is making lasting connections with the poor. It is wonderfully strange that while we have not spent time together in mapping out our neighborhood tactics, the works had amazing and correlational reports.

As I delightfully scanned this circle of men, I could not help but notice the ego-less hearts and hungry minds. Combined, there must have been 200 years of ministry represented. But it had that wonderful feel of kindergarten eagerness.

It is a thrill....a super-charged thrill....to see the local works bond in love and respect. I want to be a part of it. Thank you Bob Herndon for what you did for us today. It's is a wonderful change and....maybe I needed to grow up a bit myself.

3 comments:

Stoogelover said...

I stopped going to those luncheons many years prior to leaving ministry because they were nothing more than brag-fests, yet every one of us knew the situation at any given church was far from what their preacher was presenting.

Terry Laudett said...

I don't know most of the ministers who attend the luncheon; and I don't know much about most of the congregations represented. But I know that members of several Tulsa-area Churches of Christ have helped us tremendously at the Contact Church of Christ. They have supported our ministers, provided meals for the congregation, helped us with reaching out to our neighbors in several low-income apartment complexes, volunteered to teach our Bible classes, provided opportunities for our young people to attend summer camp, and helped in numerous others ways. I just want to say "Thank you" to all of the Tulsa-area Christians (and to others who may be from other areas, but who read your blog, who have helped us). I appreciate the kindness of all who have helped and encouraged us. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

a great report. Bob is a good guy.