Wednesday, September 30, 2009

BEING REAL IS PERMISSIBLE

I received a nice surprise yesterday. Philip Yancey sent me an autographed copy of his newest work, Grace Notes.

In the preface he begins by telling of young girl enamoured with the romantic view of one day being a writer. She inquired as to whether she might become an intern of Philip's, "I could do research for you, or office work. Or perhaps I could just sit and watch you write."

I love Philip's candid remarks. "I sent her a polite turndown, though this is what I should have responded: Young woman, are you crazy? No, you can't watch me write! I can't bear to have anyone in the same room. Writing is an act of utmost privacy and paranoia, and no one dare cross that barrier. Plus, you would soon get bored out of your mind. Why don't you stare at a rock all day or watch a TV screen with the power off---far more exciting than watching someone write.

Would you have guessed that side of Philip Yancey? I would because we are us! We are all like one another. My friend Charlie cannot stand to have his house thermostat set on odd numbers like 71 or 75. I laughed heartily over that one. Yet, I won't watch my TV with the volume control on an odd number like 23 or 27.

Last night I mentioned to Mary that, if she had time, I would like my best jeans washed for an upcoming trip. She told me that would be no problem....but to put them someplace where she would see them to remind her.

So I put them in the refrigerator. And....guess what. She found them!

Why don't you stare at a rock all day......yowie, we are so prone to have funny sides to our assumed ordinary approaches to life. So...I encourage you to be real. It is permissible....and often a lot of fun.

No comments: