Saturday, August 08, 2009

TWO-THIRDS OF GOD WON'T WORK IN THE CHURCH

It is easy to believe our time is "the" crucial time in the church. Today is surely significant. Opportunities are matched by conviction and commitment of so many Christian soldiers standing up for those spiritual elements which matter.

One of those issues is major; the Holy Spirit activity. Two-thirds of God (Father and Jesus) is not the complete God of the Bible. The Holy Spirit is vital as His participation is essential to the continuation of the true church Jesus is building.

Yes, I know several brothers who felt they had fought and weeded out this doctrine from among us. But they haven't. They mustn't. They won't. Their influence is broad and their voices intimidating. Nonetheless, the truth is the Bible was inspired by the Holy Spirit and such inspiration still declares without obscurity the Holy Spirit operates in today's Christian.

Two-thirds of God among us is not enough. He will not work divided. He will allow Himself to be quenched among us; but He will not operate with the Holy Spirit tied behind His back.

I'm quite saddened at those who mock the truth of the Holy Spirit. They believe they are merely picking at those as myself. But we are not significant. To belittle one-third of God out of sheer ignorance and man's reason is worse than a bad idea. It is disastrous.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mr. Rush, I'm a little creeped out by your post today...in a good, "God-is-watching-out-for-me" kind of way. I've been on a road trip today with one of my sisters who has recently left our tribe for another. I was a bit disconcerted about her choice, but I heard out her reasoning while we were driving along together.

One of the things she mentioned was lack of attention to the Holy Spirit in churches of Christ, which she has found in her new group. I affirmed the sentiment genuinely, b/c this has disturbed me too for a while now about our tribe. And in so affirming, I literally used the words that we "have missed out on so much to ignore a whole 1/3 of who God is". I had never quite been able to word my thoughts that way until today. We had a good conversation which left me more determined to shed light on Spirit truth within my cirlces, and also to support my sister in her decision. But I questioned the appropriateness of this kind of view, i.e. "lacking 1/3 of God" in our relationship with Him.

So, I read your post tonight, and see the topic, and am fully convinced about the need for us to expand our open-ness to Spirit things. And I'm so glad and relieved to see that I'm not alone in this view, and also that there is hope for improvement in our tribe in this area. We have much to gain from it.

Thank you for a convicting post.

Terry Rush said...

Anonymous,

Thank you for such a striking note. How amazing.

Would you email me at trush@memorialdrive.org? I would like to cheer you on further.

Blessings!

Tim said...

TR - thank you, AGAIN, for giving voice to so many in our fellowship (and outside of it)... I could not agree more! If ever a population has more thoroughly shattered a command as "Quench not the Spirit", I am unaware of it.

Thank you!

by the way, I was privileged to hear Dusty again last Sunday and he was on fire! He and I marvelled together at your ability and willingness to post in this space on a daily basis... for those who have tried to post regularly to a blog or paper, it is an amazing feat! one made more amazing by the fact that your words are so meaningful!

That, in itself, is proof positive that the Spirit is at work today in our lives!

-tm