Sunday, July 26, 2009

ONE OF MY FAVORITE BREAKTHROUGHS

There are so many wonderful things going on in the church world. Praise and worship is growing in Jesus. Sermon content is more hope-filled than church-bashing. Our people are increasing in picking up on where to serve more effectively; how to implement their gifts.

But, one thing really encourages me greatly and that is getting to be in groups where women pray with the men. What a treasure of God being held at bay because women aren't permitted to pray when men are present. If it's one's conscience that they cannot be in a mixed prayer group, then I respect it. For me, a new world of God broke open when I got to hear the hearts of women in prayer.

Our Sunday night small group is a prayer group. We meet to pray. No songs. No study; just prayer. The women make it live.

4 comments:

CarolinaGirl said...

This has taken some getting use to as I've begun attending a Christian Church instead of a Church of Christ. I think it's a good thing.

Amanda Sanders said...

The first time I ever experienced this was at Dusty and Crystal's house church. I sat there fighting back tears, grateful that God had led me to UCC. Great post Terry!

Stoogelover said...

Absolutely THE most meaningful prayers I've ever heard uttered were at Long Beach ... when women prayed. We've missed a treasure of heart-felt worship by keeping our women silent.

Christi Bloomer said...

I never had understood why C of C has taken such a hard line (and not specifically a Biblical one) on women's roles in the church. Bravo for taking it on and I couldn't agree more!!