Friday, July 17, 2009

DOES GOD TALK BACK?

Does God speak to us today? Many would give an on-the-fence response while I think most would mock such an idea as absurd. However, I think He does.

God does not speak to us audibly as far as my experience goes. He does, however, continually speak in a small, still voice. I've learned to wait to hear from Him regarding many of my duties; especially when in a sermon/class preparation mode. We pray to Him. Do we not believe He will respond? How do we think the answers come about? Road signs? He will talk back to us.

But what if one is just imagining things? What if what we think God said isn't what He really said? Oh, you mean like what goes on with your spouse or your boss? We misunderstand communication with them about as much as we get it right.

So how do we hear Him? For me, all I can say is things occur to me that didn't come from my intellect. He shows me ideas to consider; approaches to take in studying the Word or fulfilling ministry. The Bible says God works with the inner man...but since the church can't explain this on a chart we've ditched the thought....and mocked any who dare accept it. This is blasphemy in the "true church"; but it's practiced without even a flinch.

To carry on a relationship with the Father where we do all of the talking and He sits in a high-back chair mute is a ludicrous picture.....and posture. That is not a relationship and this explains why for so many years I had no relationship with God. I had a relationship with pews and pulpits; not with Him.

God speaks to us. And yes there will be times, as in any exchange, we misread or misunderstand. Such doesn't obliterate the conversation which goes on between Father and child. Children often misunderstand. To eliminate misunderstanding and misinterpreting by teaching God's lips have been sealed is a terribly costly doctrine. It shuts off the delightful connection He worked so hard for us to enjoy...with Him.

2 comments:

Stoogelover said...

I need to be more consistent in my listening skills to the Father. Thanks for this reminder today!! You've done more to help me with this over the years than anyone.

Anonymous said...

Amen to the thought about the fact that there really can't be a relationship with only one party doing the talking.

God speaks and leads through "circumstances" as well. Is there really such a thing as dumb luck for Christians? Possibly in some situations, but amazing that we give luck so much power and not Him.

He also speaks when he answers prayers and provides. What a wonderful Father.

Jay