Thursday, April 02, 2009

KNOW WHEN TO SAY NO

Say no to drugs. Youngsters are encouraged to learn this response. Beer commercials advise patrons to know when to say no. I've always thought that one somewhat odd in that the more one drinks the more good judgment might be impaired.

This morning I turned my daily calendar to this quote by William James, The essence of genius is to know what to overlook. This is a profound challenge. For one, we are constantly prodded by Jesus to see; notice the poor, assist the weak. It seems the man in the pulpit has a message which would cancel anything of an "overlook" nature.

But that would be the fault of the man in the pulpit. Just as it is essential to "look" for possibility one must be sharp (and strong enough) to "overlook" opportunity which is not from God but is a form of distraction from the pertinent issues.

Our world is very large. Due to technology we are in touch with more people in more places with more needs than every in history. While we diligently strive to bolster weakened mankind we will get more done when we learn to eliminate many of the schedules and appointments selfish and unthinking man demands.

Psalm 46:10 is remarkably key; Be still and know that I am God.

1 comment:

Brenda said...

I haven't always been real good at the no concept. So it's funny you posted this today of all days.
Since we've been trying to see the house, I've never turned a realtor away. I've always been desperate for people to come and look and hopefully make and offer. I got a call this morning from a realtor that wanted to show it today.
I SAID NO. I didn't hesitate. I didn't make excuses. I figure if they want to see it, they can come tomorrow. I have been way too overwhelmed this week.
My mom asked me to come and sit with my dad at the hospital. I went for 20 minutes and then said NO. I couldn't do it either. I do not have the time, energy or emotions left. Besides, he needs to sleep and not feel like he has to talk to me. I know where he is and he is in good hands.

Both of those NO's felt so good today. I felt so free from the chain I put myself in. So now, I will be able to get a nap in for the next hour before getting to enjoy my evening tonight.

Love you!