Monday, April 13, 2009

CONTENTMENT

The elders and staff had our weekly meeting this morning beginning at 6:30. Today's gathering soon veered onto the topic of those in the church who try to manipulate a congregation's direction by complaint. This is a significant factor in a lot of church operations.

I feel certain I will not be able to word this as well as the meeting actually went, but there was mutual agreement that the church cannot afford to have its leaders manipulated by a hand full of complainers. When elders or staff move to keep men happy rather than God, the work begins to suffer for God isn't the dominate factor.

People do complain. We've been there and done a bit of it ourselves over the years. Some, though, feel they are sort of self-assigned Barney Fifes keeping order within the flock. Some just have that disposition of letting their voices be heard to the degree leaders, if trying to pacify, kill off cells of church growth.

The word contentment arose. When church leaders can be content by threats (let members threaten) without rushing to plug the leaking dam, God has a way of seeing our trust in Him. He seems to reward. Elders and staffs must be careful not to get caught up in pleasing the malcontents or else the real work of the church struggles to get going. However, when focusing on His work, it seems the workers get a charge from getting to serve in creative and dynamic ways.

If any try to persuade us with "either/or" meaning you make improvements/adjustments or else we are out of here....we surrender and let them leave. They are quite welcome to stay, but we will not chase them down. If they are of the nature to seek a change we believe God will bless them down the road and still bless us by continuing to build Nehemiah's wall.

This might sound harsh to some. I don't mean it to be. I'm simply saying when some feel we don't come through for them maybe another congregation will be a better fit. In the meantime we are learning to develop a spirit of contentment as each of us could find displeasure of many sorts. But we are more inclined to be healthier as we focus as a church family on the possibilities with Jesus.

Contentment to live together in harmony realizing we each have a lot of improving and growing up to do creates a lively church.

7 comments:

Brenda said...

You are so correct in your observation Terry. Contentment is something I have been striving for but have NOT pefected! But I live in God's grace and mercy that He is providing me with what I need to be content with complainers.
Experiencing contentment is experiencing the peace that God has to offer. If we are godly people and find everything in our hearts that we are longing for, we will be satisfied and find rest in Jesus.

I have to find that place where I can differentiate between "tolerance" and "contentment" for myself. I maybe tolerable, but not always content. I want to always be content! God uses this in me to increse my faith, love, and trust in Him. It's not all about me. Not all about what I want or my happiness. It's not about feeding my jealous need.It's about Him and I don't want my Father to be just "content" with me. I am excited to be His child and to have Him love me uncondionally. That makes me want to be more like Him and love those who can't find contentment within themselves.
Complainers are people who need a lot of grace from others. The words hurt, sting,& cut to the core of who we are.But I figure if I have put on the full armour of God, not one person on Earth is going to penetrate that shield.
When we are content we find peace, strength, and the abilty to stand firm and continue doing the Lord's work. We sing..."When the ocean's rise & thunder roars, I will soar with you above the storm. Father you are king over the flood. I will be still and know you are God"
That is finding true contement. Knowing He is God and faithfully trusing Him in all we do.

Tammy said...

I love the illustration of Nehemiah's wall. The people were asked to build up the wall that was closest to them, the one in front of their house. The work was done not by one person telling another how to build their portion, but in concentrating on building what was right in front of them the best they could...to God's glory.

I'm all into wall building like Nehemiah's.

Brian H. said...

Terry,

Your post is right on the mark. Sounds like a little too much complaining around your place. Please don't let it ever get you down. You are doing great work. Life is already filled with too many negatives to let "Christians" trying to get you down with their know it all attitudes and never ending complaints.

You are doing a great job and you're living proof that there are some good Cardinal fans in this world.

Thanks for sharing,
Brian

preacherman said...

I think this is an important topic. We need content believers. Believers need to understand and leaders need to stress that as Paul stated, "It is no longer I but CHRIST!" When it is no longer I but CHRIST things change. Everything changes. Our entire outlook on worship, church, family, neighbors, and God Himself. I truely believe that NO LONGER I is the key to contentment. Thank you for sharing with us this important topic and I hope and pray that the church is filled with more content people who have the NO LONGER I BUT CHRIST attitude. God bless you, your church's leadership, your church and ministry.

Anonymous said...

One of the hardest lessons I had to learn as a minister was that I do NOT have to nor should I listen to 95 percent of the complaints.

Just for example: one person might say I was "not preaching enough meat," and then the next person would congratulate me on such a fine in-depth sermon or class. It reminded me of a job I had in radio prior to answering the call. I used to play ALL the songs that people would phone in and request, and after awhile my boss took me to the side and said "you realize that you're alienating the rest of the audience, right?" I asked him why, and he said it was because of the requests...I was playing too many requests by a small group of people, and the rest of the people weren't getting to hear the music they wanted!

I've found that the best way to silence the complainers is by giving them no one to complain to. And if they try the old gem of "well if you don't do what I say, I'm going somewhere else" I happily let them go on their merry way. Better they should do that than the whole church should suffer at their whim.

Congratulations to you and your elders for realizing that it's time to stand their ground and let people be mad at them if they want.

Anonymous said...

Sadly my perception of our brotherhood has been that complaining showed passion, almost like many think that is what they are supposed to do... if they love truth.

I now see a passion for God and showing our faith through love.

I pray that we all will be patient and forgiving and confident to let the complainers go.

Unknown said...

It's sad but true that it's a losing game to try to please the critics/complainers of a church. The proverbs say the leech has two daughters: "Give!" and "Give!" So, I call constant complainers "church leeches." If you give them what they want, they change what they want, and always they want more. And they like the taste of blood! Well, that stretches the metaphor just a bit.