Saturday, April 04, 2009

CHURCH IMPROVEMENT

Who, other than God, really knows how to best approach kingdom work in this culture? God is so massively wise that He is more skilled in His weakest moments than we are powerful at our greatest combination of pea-brains (I Cor. 1:20-31).

However, we are quite alive and seem to draw to matters which offer light and hope of improving "our places" of service. Patrick Mead wrote of a hiring scenario he believes (in his pea-brainedness) which offers a new route of effectivity. I have been sharing a similar concept with leaders as I travel about. Take a look at Mead's first.....

If you are going to hire a second minister, make it a worship minister, NOT a youth minister. Youth ministers are wonderful and useful, but they should be your fourth hire, not your second. The first can be either a great preacher/pastor or a great worship leader. Whichever one you hire first, hire the other one second. Your third hire should be a children’s minister. THEN you hire a youth minister. It is amazing to me how few congregations know that. By hiring in the wrong order, you strangle your growth potential and increase the odds that some will leave by the back door. A lot of the glue of a church centers around the worship experience. It is one area that should never be economized, placed on the back burner, or ignored. That said, the best worship in the world won’t help anyone if you don’t move it out of the building and into the lives of the people. A good worship minister will find creative ways to do that.

I want to add that I wonder if the first move of a congregation ought to be the worship focus. My tribe likes to consider ourselves Bible-based; and I like that. But it is the Word which calls for relationship with God as a priority rather than sermons received. Effective and inspiring worship times can cover mediocre sermons. But the very nature of man needs connection with God; fellowship with God.

Worship isn't a series of acts. It is telling God how desperately we adore Him. Too many churches don't adore God; rather they endure church. Subsequently, He is left out of His own picnic. If I were to critique most congregations I visit I would not suggest they do anything to improve until they first put some authentic love and adoration into their song service.

To many churches sing as if traipsing to the cemetery rather than thrilling the heart of God with their open applause to His very name. That is my pea-brained observation...and I realize it is only that.

My second hire for a congregation would be a children's minister. I was here a long time and did the best I could. But it was when Allen French was brought on board as worship minister (and now Shane Coffman thrills us) and Linda Scott was added (and subsequently Stacey Kendall) as part-time children's minister, that this place came authentically alive. I had been here twenty years and nothing popped like their addition.

I would add the youth minister third. After that, I would add the pulpit guy. We (preachers) should be fourth in hire. We have many capable men able to deliver a message while we are growing the other three ministries. Easy for me to say? I've already told my elders and part of the staff that my opinion is this place could do without me before it could do without the other players. I believe they are more significant.

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE MY JOB. But I am saying too many churches feel that if they just had a minister they would come alive. But look around. Many have them and they are struggling as to what to do to create life.

Life is found in worship; not in delivering talks. My pea-brained opinion is God isn't being worshipped. God created His people to truly worship Him and if they don't have an avenue to cut loose in this one area, all the rest of ministerial arrangement is for organizational benefit; but possibly not the heart.

What thinketh ye?


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Trying to turn up the heat on the involvement ministers are you? :) I think I follow Patrick's a little closer. I think the combo of a great preacher and great worship leader go hand-in-hand to help the worship be all that it can be and people get built up not just emotionally/energetically through the singing but also through effective and relevant preaching of the Word.

Stoogelover said...

I would agree that the worship and children's minister should come before a youth minister. I think we suffered as a church family because of our youth ministers ... for years.

Kyler Erwin said...

This is ground breaking for most churches. A worship minister is the last on most church lists. It's starting to become more important which I am very glad of. I think if a church doesn't know how to worship (both in song and with their lives) then there isn't much use for any of the other ministers. A good worship leader not only leads songs but leads people into daily worship to God.

Terry Rush said...

Kyle,

Your comment "A good worship leader not only leads songs but leads people into daily worship to God." is something I was trying to write and never got there. So glad you added it.

Very important statement.

Terry Rush said...

Sorry Kyler. Don't know where the R went.

Franklin Wood said...

Agree with you in principle (I am a youth minister!)
However, it seems we have so many parents who are failing to care for the spiritual needs of their kids.
I suppose a children's minister might help remedy this situation before the children become teens.
I actually prefer the idea of family ministry myself, which I would put as a pretty high priority on the list.
Interesting thoughts, thanks for sharing!

waynepope said...

Terry, sorry I've not been in the habit of reading your daily blogs. I should have known someone who has been around as long as you should have such wonderful insight! Good thoughts; keep challenging us.

Lynn said...

A great post. I've always loved the old testament where the "praise team" was sent out ahead of the army. God lives in our praise and we need to release him in our daily and community lives. Worship seems to open the heart so we can be at a place to receive God's word and listen with the Spirit living in us. I don't remember many sermons word for word. It is hard for me to memorize scripture, but I can remember literally thousands of songs. My theology really comes to me in music and phrase. I believe God created us to receive him this way. It seems to circumvent the intellect and go to the heart. Teaching a congregation to worship is a vital part of the life in a church. It also lets those so gifted, use those gifts to glorify God. Worship has many expressive forms and may not be limited to songs. In whatever way you can expess to God your love for him, that is worship. I think leaders are so needed that can bring this expression foward and create a God-loving atmosphere. Look beyond stereotypes, worship leaders come in all ages and both genders. Thanks Terry, Lynn W.