Monday, January 26, 2009

FIERCE DETERMINATION

Jesus nearly broke, recall? He became so burdened the Garden scene almost heard a referee's whistle blowing a divine time-out. Jesus' knees seemed to buckle; yet he arighted his balance and persevered through the greatest brutality known to mankind. He would not quit.

If you think you are a follower of Christ and will receive some form of excuse from your Father in order to skip the rough days.....think again. The kingdom of God is the funnest place on earth. It is also the meanest. I love being in the church. But I don't love the cross parts. They are brutal.

We must consider the fierce determination it will take to see ourselves through to the end. It is right that we weigh deep and stressful moments for the purpose which they serve. Such days bless us to become more mature with each skirmish. Trouble is not our enemy. It is our tutor. Through stress we learn to endure.

I am saying to any Christian regardless of whether paid or volunteer in service, we tend to quit too soon. We must learn to last longer. I speak not of serving in an area and moving on to another with complete effort to serve from that point. I am addressing the temptation to quit; to call out as Jesus did and ask for a pass. He didn't and we can't. Others who need to meet him cannot afford for us to buckle under the stresses of kingdom service.

Fierce determination; it isn't a style but a heart of a fighter.

4 comments:

Lynn Leaming said...

Terry,
Thank you so much for stopping by my blog. I appreciated so much what you had to say about the indwelling of the Spirit. I was blessed to hear you speak at Highland Oaks a few weeks ago. My brothers were in town who are seekers and God used you in a great way to speak to all of our hearts that day. May He continue to bless you as you are filled with His fierce determination.

Jimmy Clare said...

Thanks Terry...what a wonderful reminder once again of "keep on, keeping on!"

Anonymous said...

Over and over and over again you encourage those who feel the burden of ministry, yet experience its joy as well.

Thank you.

Especially on a Monday:)

Jason

Anonymous said...

Terry, You speak to my heart, I need to have this strength. I am so weak...but if Jesus can go the distance, surely I can.