Saturday, January 17, 2009

BASEBALL EVANGELISM: MISSION OR TOY?

Who in the world would think of going to a baseball camp believing it would be a tool of evangelism impact? I would. I thought it from day one and it keeps producing. I leave for another camp soon.

Bottom line: has anyone been baptized due to this effort? Well, I will share just a smidge of what I know. As far as I can tell the first baptism came in October the first year, 1984. My shortstop's wife wanted to come to chapel at the hotel in St. Louis with a bunch from Memorial in August. She was baptized two months later. We baptized the camp's after-dinner speaker about six years into the camp.

I got an idea to develop a film to reach unbelievers by interviewing celebs which included two baseball stars, Curt Flood and Al Hrabosky. At that time we produced High Hope for the Human Heart. People were baptized all over America as a result. Joe Almanza was converting friends like crazy through the use of that film.

Due to my experience in that filming, I was asked to host a nationally broadcast television talk- show, CrossView. In three years' time, God converted hundreds and hundreds.

A state prison in Texas had me come in to play ball and then speak to the inmates. 300 inmates gathered after the game. I preached a sermon, You Need to Know This Man Named Jesus. Of the 300 in attendance, how many would you guess were baptized? 61. It was such a sea of African-American men responding I could not find any of my teammates. All of these men didn't sit to fill out cards; they wanted to stand and tell me their stories....one at a time. What a thrilling scene!

Even this week I have seen doors continue to open. Baseball Evangelism is one of the oddest mission concepts I have ever heard of. But it has opened doors to hearts just as I had guessed....only more.

This morning as I was working out at the gym I started talking to the lady on the treadmill beside me. I told her I was going to the Cardinal camp soon as I have a ministry with the Cardinals. That statement is like a pop opener to a Pepsi. Out comes the immediate interest.

She wanted to know more. I talked to her for four miles! She is trying to find a church and had a million questions....well, maybe twelve. She wants to help serve at the food pantry. She wants to get my book Empowering the Ordinary as she feels she has a hole in her heart for God and needs study direction. She will be visiting us.

Baseball Evangelism....it keeps opening doors. People are converted to Christ. It is a mission; not a toy.....but I must admit....it surely is fun!

3 comments:

Brian's Bibilcial Minute said...

Great post! I wanted to read more, but you ended it. Is there a part 2? As a native of St. Louis, I love the Cardinals. I can't wait for opening day!

Tim Perkins said...

Absolutely amazing!

I've always thought that a baseball field was as close to heaven as one could get this side of eternity. And you're combining the two!

Anonymous said...

I just have to give a big "amen" to what Tim said. Some of my best memories in life include me being on a baseball field.

I'm sure we'll be playing in heaven. :)