Thursday, October 09, 2008

UNDERNEATH EARTH

Imagine Rocky Balboa standing savagely tanned with rippled muscles poised as he holds the globe of large and heavy earth above his head. The picture would convey the weight of it all and the enduring strength it would take to hold up the world.

Do you ever feel like Rocky in that picture? Do you feel you are carrying the weight of the world on your shoulders. Do you ever feel ridiculously foolish to think you are doing any good for such an overwhelming task at hand? I feel it....every day. I assume the same is for you.

But what if we could reverse Rocky's image by moving him off of the screen and putting a very large hand with a strand of thread hanging from one finger and the globe dangling in mid-air as if it were made of cotton? That would be God and the complete non-stress involved as He created earth as well as all her creatures.

The latter image (God) joins the former image (us) to virtually ease our load. How do we handle financial strain, marriage rot, doctrinal suicide, ministry unravel, and performance guilt? We shift from holding up earth on our own to believing the Hand is applying His strength in our walk. I really become challenged everyday at the personal load I carry due to being stuck with my weak mind and my inadequate talent. I discourage me for there is so very much in front calling for someone to make a significant difference. Yet, He is the One who knows the ropes of manhood. He was manhood.

Be encouraged. We have deeply serious work in front of us. But we have the Living Hand holding on.........and supplying every need....II Cor. 9:8-11.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

As I write this, I am singing out loud: "He's got the whole church in his hands...He's got the liberal brother in his hands...He's got the legalist in his hands...He's got Preacher Rush in his hands..." Something about the strength of nail-scarred hands, don't ya know?

Liz Moore said...

Thanks Friend! I really, really needed this today!

Anonymous said...

Regarding your post from earlier in the week (About silence and authority)...Isn't the proper application about silence TO BE SILENT? Ex: Bible is silent about hand-clapping, etc--therefore, I am silent about it (Doesn't mean I'm for it or against it--I'm just gonna shut up about it and let others do it/not do it.) Also, my call is to SPEAK WHERE BIBLE SPEAKS--Doesn't tell me to tell othes to unplug guitars--just tells me to tell others that God loves them so much He wants them to be part of His foreve family.

Terry Rush said...

The Anonymous referencing silence:

I agree. That doesn't make it law or right...just the way I see it.

It doesn't mean we don't have to wrestle with what to accept and what to reject from personal estimation and discernment. It does seem to be true that the scripture is silent about claiming there is authority in silence.

Brenda said...

Oh Terry! You have no idea how I feel like Rocky! Without the tan rippled muscles of course! ;o)

I needed this today! Thank you for being such a wonderful encourager!
Love you!!!!