Tuesday, July 08, 2008

TERRITORIAL

Rick Joyner writes that there are two basic ministries going on; (1) intercession and (2) accusation. Jesus lives to intercede and Satan roams to accuse. We must perpetually seek the high road of unity rather than the base path of division. Intercession forms unity while accusation divides. We must be alert to the staggering damage of the accuser.

Maybe one of his more powerful weapons is individual uncertainty. Insecurity is a treacherous menace hiding within the best of leaders. It causes us to become territorial. Criticizing others is Satan’s niche, but surely we admit by now such is an inferior style. I know the ropes of being both insecure and territorial. Really, I’m a pro. I know how to recall the stories of conflict by telling only those which lead to me coming out looking good. I know the need to feel superior at something. This facade is important to me; even if it annoys everyone else. In fooling them (which is in my imagination only, not theirs), I have fooled myself.

One of the things quite important to insecure leaders is we must have victory and we must have successive victories because that’s what holds up our wobbly self-esteem. We become territorial so another cannot harvest credit or accolades from our winning ways. The reason we all need to be forewarned of this sneak in our midst is because territorial systems necessarily shut down other promising leaders. “They” are liable to make “me” look badly. So, snuff them out. Protect what I’ve learned, what I’ve done, what I’ve believed. Consider them not. Keeping our little section winning makes me look good and after all, isn’t life about me?

I encourage you today to let go of the ropes which keep you always in the driver’s seat. Let go of the reports which make you look best. Think of others. Note their need to be boosted; to gain attention. One of the best things we can do as leaders is wisely note the times we should step aside to let the rush of good and talented leaders live in the glory God has designed especially for them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've been keeping up with your blog for a while now, linking to it from another, and I usually find something very encouraging. However, today's entry "Territorial" is exactly (and I do mean EXACTLY) something the Lord wanted me to read. Thank you for your openness, insight, and commitment.