Tuesday, July 29, 2008

MINISTRY TOOLS WHICH MIGHT HELP

MY FAVORITE BOOKS:
The Wounded Healer by Henri Nouwen
The Barbarian Way by Erwin McManus
Waking the Dead by John Eldredge
Many others rank a close 4th.

MY FAVORITE JOURNAL: THE MORNING STAR
375 Star Light Drive, Fort Mill, SC. 29715
1-800-542-0278
Issued Quarterly, $20 per year
Contains some articles I question and always articles which inspire of God’s teaching.

MY FAVORITE BROTHERHOOD PAPER: THE CHRISTIAN CHRONICLE
www.christianchronicle.org
Keeps us informed of broad range of church activities and missions; more than any other work.

MY FAVORITE WAY TO GET SERMON IDEAS
Listen to those who hurt throughout the week.
Study the Word to see how Jesus would rush to their aid.
Pray.

MY FAVORITE FREE INTERNET STUDY HELP http://www.biblegateway.com/


MY FAVORITE MINISTRY MOMENT OF THE WEEK
Meet at 7:30 in the auditorium every Sunday morning with any who want to pray.

PRESENT DEBATE:
http://www.zianet.com/maxey/pattern.htm
Al Maxey offers viewpoints necessary for us to break through to life in Christ….my opinion.

3 comments:

Tracy said...

Mr. Rush,

Thanks for sharing some of your favorites.

The debate has me a bit mesmerized at the moment. It reminded me of something I've thought some about lately and would like to know your thoughts. I know that the issue of unity and the future of the c of C is a huge topic now and has been for some time. It seems that it's something we all need to get "plugged" into and be educated about. If for nothing else, to perhaps let God reveal some new things to strengthen our faith, but hopefully, for us to help strengthen unity in the church now and certainly for future generations.

However, you are in a position where you have a lot of insight to the debates, the struggles, the challenges and the victories on this subject and others that the church is dealing with (those that read blogs like yours are very aware, too). Many that I know (especially of my generation - 30's) either have no clue about these issues, or really don't care. Not worth their time and don't see how it's relevant. It could all be sort of "squished" together as far as they're concerned.

What do you think about the fact that many don't even understand these big undercurrents are there? And what can I do about it in my little space in the world?

Terry Rush said...

Dear JS (My how I feel much like Abigail Van Buren or Ann Landers right now!)

You raise a good question. My response may be weak. Possibly other readers could pitch in with their insight.

First, my reason to offer various helps in this blog were soley for one to pick and choose what one(s) might be beneficial to their particular ministry.

Second (now to your specific question), I'm not sure those who have no interest in issues ought to be bothered with them. One of the things I did right at Memorial was to quit preaching brotherhood issue and preach Jesus. It was a powerful transition. The only reason I posted reference of the debate was simply for any who struggle with this problem that perhaps this might help.

Therefore, I don't think the 30-Something need to know struggles of the past as much as the trust of God for the present. Hopefully you will not feel I am disregarding your question. As I said, it may be quite weak.

What would others of you want to say?

Anonymous said...

I appreciate your favorite books. Personaly, I kinda like Matthew, Mark, Luke and John :)